4WD Cars and other shooting rigs

Aussie_hunter

Hey fellas in Australia what kinda shooting rig do use have? Is it true in America it's illegal to shoot from a car even when on private property? Me I have a 60 series land cruiser with a few added extras like roof mounted spot light, but I'm thinking of getting rid of it and a 2001 Toyota hilux with the extra cab and extended tray. If any of you guys have or had a hilux like this what did you think of them

I believe all States are different when it comes to shooting from a vehicle. In Wyoming, we can shoot from a vehicle so long as our feet are on the ground (for game animals) I don't believe there is a rule when it comes to predators/varmints. I know many old farts that spotlight varmints and predators from the cab or bed of the truck. Dad and I used to spotlight all the time with his old Chevy Silverado. It had a roof mounted spotlight.

Here's my truck, all covered in mud from some spring rain a few years back.
it's a 1 ton Duramax/Allison lifted 6" with 463 gears, e-locker in front and limited slip with trackion bars in rear.
35" tires and 12000 lb Warne winch. Bullydog power chip. 6 extra shocks on the front end.
Truck not counting the mud weighs just under 10000 lbs. 8 1/2' tall at the top of the tire on the headache rack. It pulled that big 35' fifth wheel for many thousands of miles before I retired it to off road use. Kinda hard to get into sometimes, but it handles the rutted and washed out two tracks pretty well. Mud doesn't get very deep where I hunt, just super duper slippery.

I don't know the toyota, got any pics?

Attachments

• MUD3.jpg
    MUD3.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 18
  • MUD5.jpg
    MUD5.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 14
  • MUD6.jpg
    MUD6.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Mate that is one serious beast I want it. No pictures yet mate, I'm still pretty new to the computer world just still learning the basics so as soon as I figure how to up load pictures I'll send in a one. My landcruiser isn't like ur rig though I wish it was. I payed $1500 and re painted it took all the dents out restored it pretty much it was a real mess when I got it but it looks good now.

Not from down under but.....

No pics, sorry. It's nothing but a 4 door Suzuki Sidekick with the biggest rubber I can get under it.

It's a little puny in character but has taken me everywhere I wished, so far.

Next upgrade is tracks for the little sucker.

If I could get one with the diesel engine as is sold down there it would be a perfect machine.

Yeh that's what I like about my rig that its both road worthy and off road, but I want a new one that's more comfy to drive my rig at the moment is a rough bastard when you go long distance you feel every bump but those land cruises were never made for comfort but durability. How are those huge yank tanks go like for comfort and fuel wise?

Our australian dollar is near on par with your American dollar so how much does your fuel go for a litre. Just curious.

Iv also got a Suzuki quad bike 250cc 4wd haven't really used it as much as I'd like, gunna a hand held spot light on it and make a rifle rack on it. I like to build the stuff myself doesn't always turn out like you would like but saves money and you don't learn ****.

Diesel has been running about $4 per gallon here lately. That truck will get anywhere from 16-18 miles per gallon if I set the cruise on 60 mph. It goes down to about 13-14 if I drive the speed limit or faster. The ones that are bone stock supposedly get over 20 mpg on the highway, but they don't have any ground clearance:rolleyes:.

Comfort isn't too bad, not as nice as a 1/2 ton pickup but not bad at all considering what it is built for. I've got air bags on the rear to support the extra weight, but they make the ride rougher too. Seems there is never a perfect compromise.

I'm thinking of getting a gator or something along the lines of that. I saw the prices of some $10,000 in america over here in Australia there $18,000 to $20,000 it's crazy I want one so bad

2000' Jeep Wrangler soft top 4.0 strait six with a few extras....
Only about 14.5-16 mpg.
2007' Dodge 1/2 ton crew cab (4 doors) with a Hemi , & a few more extras.
16-18 in town & 20 or better on hwy IF I dont DRIVE it like I like to. I've set a personal best of 22.6 mph with it on a 5 hr trip from Wa. to Central Oregon, but have never been able to duplicate the mileage since. Maybe it was luck, or maybe I've never been patient enough to make the trip again without blowing peoples doors off, I dunno. But I do Love my Hemi.

How much mate I heard u can buy cars in America for cheap as f#%k and it only cost a few bucks to ship them over. What year? I'd love a dodge there awesome

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.