460 smith&wesson

44 Mag hands down for comfort and carrying.If your in a stand and only shoot one or two shots the 460 will do what the 44 can do at a higher cost to you.

Guess I'll throw in my .02. I sold 2 Smith 629 .44's and now have a 5 in. 460. I love the 460 and to me the recoil is significantly less than the .44's, albeit the .44's were a 3 in. and 5 in. I also like the versatility of the 460 where I can shoot the .45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460. The extra weight of the X frame in not noticeable to me. In fact, my 127 lb. significant other shoots the 460 accurately without any issues as well.

Guess I'll throw in my .02. I sold 2 Smith 629 .44's and now have a 5 in. 460. I love the 460 and to me the recoil is significantly less than the .44's, albeit the .44's were a 3 in. and 5 in. I also like the versatility of the 460 where I can shoot the .45 Colt, 454 Casull and 460. The extra weight of the X frame in not noticeable to me. In fact, my 127 lb. significant other shoots the 460 accurately without any issues as well.

I have a 6" 629 and wanted to get a 5" 460. Have you shot all 3 rounds from it ? Just trying to get an idea on recoil. I am not recoil sensitive but no sense in getting one if never going to beable to shoot it accurately.

I have 2 44 S&W RM's and I prefer the 460 as well. Muzzle climb on the 44's greater and the recoil is way more abrupt. The 460 is smoother in recoil and the muzzle climb is basically non-exitent.

My 460 (XVR Long barrel with brake) is way more accurate at distance than my 44's ever hope to be. I can easily hold a 1" group at 100 yards, every day, any day and the 460 shooting the Hornady flex tips will bore right through an AR500 3/16" plate at 50 yards. I have one with some nice (not too round) holes in it.

I would be careful about shooting the 454 Casualls and the 45 LC's because they don't extend the entire length of the cylinder and you can get carbon buildup that could impact extraction. Myself, I only shoot the 460's in Hornday or handloads with Hornady brass, Hornady XTP 452's and a nice charge of Lil Gun.

I feel much more confident with large game with the 460. It will handle anything on 4 legs in North America and Africa if you want to go there. I hardly ever shoot the 44's any more.

At first I really liked my S&W XVR 460. But after shooting it for a while ,the recoil started to annoy me. Plus I felt if you fire that gun one time with out protection ,you risk permanent hearing damage. Ok so your hiking a trail and a Bear charges you,great you killed the bear ,but now your deft . I've since bought a .480 Ruger and its about 50% more than a 44 magnum ,but its easily manageable with 400gr bullets at 1200+ FPS and I could fire off a few shots at a Bear with out loosing my hearing. So my vote is a 41 mag 44 mag and a .480 Ruger are great cartridges.

The last thing I ever think about when drawing down on any animal is one, the recoil and two, the muzzle blast / noise, but then, I wear Walkers Game Ears all the time in the field anyway.

I agree, it's loud but so is my 338 Lapua and my 300 WM. It's all relative.

Mine has no appreciable recoil, never has.

I sure like carrying it afield in it's ballistic nylon cross draw holster, no worry about low branches snagging the tube.

I've shot all 3. I often use the 45LC for practice and will usually shoot a box (50) in a session. On the 454 or 460, I usually stop after about 25 rounds so I hopefully don't develop bad habits. Plus it gets a bit expensive to shoot the 454 or 460 all the time.

This is exactly what I found shooting the 460.

I have owned 44 specials, 44 rem mags, 454 Casull's and the 460 S&W and My titanium 44 special is one of the worst recoiling and loudest it is second only to my 44 mag.

When I stepped up to the 454, I was impressed that it did not recoil as violently as the 44 mag (I purposely went to a raging bull because of size and weight) to offset the power increase.

The first Time I shot a 460 I was shocked at how manageable it was and recoil felt less than my 454. I tried a 500 S&W and found no advantage in total performance so I went looking for a 460 and have been very happy.

I have not shot any 45 LC in it because the 454 loads shoot so nice in the big Smith and I consider them reduced loads in the 460. For practice, the Hornady loading works well. for serous loading I load up the 300 grain bullets to get the best energies and trajectories from the 460.

I have only praise for Smiths design and performance of there 460. I realize it is not for everyone, but for those that can handle the 460 S&W, it has It all in my opinion. And it is fun to shoot.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.