.458 SOCOM?

Ross1147

Alright, starting down a new venture. I've never owned an AR or had a desire too. Closest "black" gun I own is a FNAR, which is pretty much a Browning BAR.
My goal here is to build a rifle to shoot solely subsonic suppressed. I know a 300 BLK would be quieter, but I want/think I need the added weight the .458 gives me. I will be hunting with this rifle in a heavily wooded area and I don't want the pigs/deer to run far after hit. We're talking bow ranges here. If there really isn't a big difference in sound between sub/super, I have no qualms with going super.
I currently have dies, brass and bullets on hand. Still looking for a good subsonic heavy bullet though.
Next step is looking for upper. Does anybody have any personal feedback on either Atheris complete uppers or one purchased from ar15parts.com that use Shaw barrels?
Price point is about the same $650-700 or so for either upper.
Or should I just find a complete gun and buy that?
Thanks for the help!

Ryan

Yeah, after reading through a few of the threads on that form listed above tromix sounds like the way to go.

when it comes to the 458, 375, 358 socom, Tromix is the absolute way to go. Tony (i think is his name) is the man and has good quality stuff. yes it's a bit more expensive but it's worth it.

buy bare minimum barrel and bolt from him. get an adjustable gas block, you can get his upper receiver that's already has the ejection port opened up, or do like me and DIY.

these for an expanding heavy hitting sub

my brother shoots makers and he enjoys them

I ordered the Tromix. Glad I went to that site. Ar15parts had some bad reviews. Now what to get for a lower?!?!

Tromix or Wilson combat for barrel and bolt. I would likely go Aero Precision or better on the upper and lower receivers.

Maker Rex bullets are good for subs but so are outlaw state bullets.

Outlaw finally got back to me. They never responded to my emails, but then out of the blue emailed saying my order was ready and give them a call. These 530 grn fracturing bullets are no joke. If I dropped this it would break my toe!?!

Attachments

• 3D0DE3D1-89BE-4D88-92EE-994B14A6FD96.jpeg
    3D0DE3D1-89BE-4D88-92EE-994B14A6FD96.jpeg
    543.3 KB · Views: 140
  • FED3EEBB-5E2A-4C9B-BC36-6E6665832E1F.jpeg
    FED3EEBB-5E2A-4C9B-BC36-6E6665832E1F.jpeg
    290.9 KB · Views: 85

Recent Posts