.458 Cheytac

snake

Though Kirby Allen did a blown out .458 design off the cheytac. I thought This would be a cool project. .458 diameter isn't popular like the .375 but sure gets me thinking.

Predator,gscustom,Leghigh and im sure theres a few others that make high BC solid bulltets for long range use and or big game hunting. I've just been running some numbers and they look good! At least on paper it looks good.

I just don't care for the .50 BMG because its sooooo big and heavy,a .408 case would be a better option to lug around. If the 460 weatherby has that much power,imagine a .458 cheytac based wildcat with a 550gr high BC bullet. Should be a harder hit out to 1500yds but after that im sure the .375 cheytac shines sill show up the .458. Maybe im wrong but i'd love some opinions.

Thanks for reading everyone.

Mike

I think I heard around the campfire Joel Russo is getting ready to play with this is he is already in the process of.

When it come to Cheytac anything he would be the first I would be hitting up with questions.

Thanks,JUDD. I crossed my mind a few months ago about this combo but did alot of searching and nothing on it. Its even hard to find info on longer range 460 Weaterbys' or 460 Styers. That .458 projectile doesn't seem to a favorite.

Maybe because its such and inbetween cartridge people either go with .408 .416 or jump to .50?

I think you are correct. For whatever reason the 458 is hugely popular for the big game hunters but is skipped by the target side of things.

That said I am very interested in getting one done too and currently looking at a custom reamer. Intending to put it in one of the new stiller 408tac actions with the whole 7 shot mag set up, manners MCS-T or T3 stock, 26"barrel. More as a regular big game rifle that can also double at long range fun.

I also approached rocky mountain about a custom order of his long range softs in this calibre. He said he might be interested in doing so. Maybe someone else would be interested in a group buy?
Feel free to PM or email me if you want to discuss or share ideas.

Karl.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.