454 Casull Anybody?

It costs next to nothing to polish the chambers.... just time and effort.
You have nothing to lose by trying
I know it helped my Super Redhawk in 480. Another gun I should have not sold

Got a Ruger Alaskan in 454 casull that should be here at the end of the week or first of next week. It has the short 2.5" barrel and looking to get some advise on loads for it. Here is what i currently have and have on its way as far as supplies.

120+: pieces of new starline brass primed with small rifle magnum primers
100: pieces of new NAA brass
200: 345gr hard cast lubed bullets, bhn suppose to be 20+
100: 325gr swift A-frames
1lb of lilgun
1lb of h110
3 piece set of rcbs carbide 454 casull dies
Also have some 45lc brass coming

This is all together a new cartridge for me, have read a good bit on it and some say if the the bhn is above 18 no gas checks needed and some dont even lube them, i am pretty new on shooting lead cast out of magnums, any advice on this would help.

Also not sure on the primers, is small rifle magnum good or will small rifle be better or will it be determined by which powder?

I have both powders above on hand but if need to get different one will try to find some.

My goal for this pistol is to shoot hogs or deer around here but main goal other than having a hand cannon is to have a good handgun for future elk hunt to have in bear country. If the A frames shoot well that will be the bullet for bear and cougars from what i have read but have no experience with them.

Any and all help and advice will be thanked
I would stick with 296 or H110 and not use lil gun. I won't use it any more in a 410 either. The stuff just burns at too high a temperature. You can drive cast bullets faster than jacketed. Over about 1200 they will lead the barrel if not gas checked or poly coated. I would think Lil Gun would make this worse, but haven't tried it, and won't. Biggest no no is shooting cup and core bullets not designed for the 454 in full loads. They WILL shed jackets and leave them in the barrel. You will not notice. Fire another after it and you will bulge the barrel. IMO the 454 is the most powerful PRACTICAL revolver cartridge there is.

I don't have a 454,but shoot huge amounts of cast bullets in 41,44,and 45LC. Have had really good results with Blue Dot. Everything that I have been told by trusted sources tell me that the ball powders work like a sand blaster on the forcing cone.

Recent Posts