45 degree rail for secondary optic?

jpbaker

I will have my new .308 rifle put together within the next week. However i have a problem with optics.

Currently i have a viper 6.5-20x44 The rifle is going to be taking deer out to 650 or so. Plus occasional walks through the woods to get to the fields where they are "hanging out"

due to that, I may have the occasional shot at 40-150 yard shot in there.

I know that 14-16x is all i really need, but.....I really like the magnification for steel and targets.....

Here is my question....
What if i took a small 45 degree rail and mounted a small red dot/reflex beside my viper?

TKS
JPB

Last edited:
Look at surh mounts,top notch but $$.The have a top or side mount.Brownells cat has different options for rail.I have a 5-20 and have had no problem tacking a bull in thick at 50 yrds.Very use to rifle.

The 45 degree mounts are cool, but I don't like all the extra stuff hanging off my rifle. I hate things grabbing branches when I walk timber. Before I was into long range hunting I thought a 6x scope was good to go from 10 yards to 450 yards. I think the 6.5 end isn't too much for walking trees if you are somewhat practiced with it

Ok sounds good....will give it a shot and if dont like it, we will have to figure something out....

TKS GUYS
JPB

I converted to the 6-24 mag range a while ago and now can not live without the extra magnification so I spent a couple afternoons doing off hand drills, moving from one target to the next rapidly and it really helped my comfort level in case of those close shots. You can train away that close range anxiety and get really effective acquiring and tracking on 6x. I would at least try that before buying the extras.

I would rather have 2 seperate scopes in quick detach rings. 3-15 for hunting and what I call a load development scope for longer range. I have slowly been converting all my rifles over to pic rails and just having one high power scope for load development that moves between guns as needed.

Do you keep both eyes open when shooting? I have had no problems coming on target and tracking animals at close range in timber with scopes up to 15x. When I have forced myself to close non dominate eye I struggle to even come on target.

I have been working on keeping both eyes open.....takes some getting used to, it comes down to habit...

TKS
JPB

My hunting buddy grew up with straight 6x and shot a slew of whiteys with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.