44 Long Colt and The Judge?

Troutslayer

I am thinking about getting "The Judge" which is a revolver that shoots 44 long colt or .410 shotgun. It seems pretty cool and practical for the kind of things I will be using it for. What kind of drawbacks does the long colt have when compared to say .44 Mag and other popular handgun cartridges? I am wanting this for bears, home defense, and grouse shooting.

Anybody have The Judge? Like it? Is there anything else out there that is chambered in this configuration?

Thanks

I believe it is a 45 long colt. I don't believe there is a 44 long colt as a standard Colt round. The 45 long colt started life as a black powder round, no comparison at all to the 44 mag. The 454 was worked with the 45 long colt, but trying to heavily up load the 45 long colt is a bad idea, bad idea. However, the 45 long colt is a FINE manstopper in the self defense role. I have never fired a Judge, But because of bullet jump etc. I do not believe it will ever be mistaken for a match handgun. In the home defence role, it maybe just the ticket with 410s, do to the reduced risk of wall penetration etc. It is big and heavy, recoil should be very low. With all that said, not my first choice for a home defense handgun. But certainly way better than lots of other choices. This is my two bits worth, hope it helps.

I would like to add, that most of the guys I know developing heavy loads in their 45Long Colts are doing so in Ruger and Freedom Arms types, these are very strong weapons-very strong. I don't know of anybody loading heavy in a Judge. I believe the Judge was developed with idea of a short shot gun, and in this role it has been very well received.

i shot almost a box of shells through one of these last yr. a friend bought one thinking it was just the perfect self defense gun because she is not that great a shot with a pistol. i was not that impressed. the long colt rounds were accurate enough at medium ranges and seemed pretty hard hitting, but the 410 rds were plumb puny. prob work good for snakes and such at ranges out to maybe 5yds. but i sure as hell wouldnt want that for a big bastard across a room, and you are limited to 5 shots. big bulky handgun also. give me a six shot snubby .38 over it anytime....AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.