42.6 lbs of Channel Cat in two casts!

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Tyler Kemp, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

My friend wanted me to go fishing with him...we went out to an old farm lake with some hotdogs and two poles. 15 minutes after throwing the line in, while listening to "Hotel California", this channel cat strikes:

[​IMG]
    Those are some little bass a younger kid who came along with us caught.

We didn't know what it weighed, but we knew it was real nice for a channel cat. After making the rounds to the closest people we could find, I threw out my line the second time. As soon as we turned on "Hotel California", another one took the bait! Don't have a picture of it alone, but it's the longer one on the left.

[​IMG]
    It put up a heck of a fight. I let my friend have the pole after it surfaced and I saw it was just as big, if not bigger than the last. I jumped in the lake to go get it, as soon as I saw it, the hook flies out and goes zinging past my head. I guess the big cat didn't know what happened, he gave me just enough time to jump on him before it started struggling. I look like my hands went through a meat grinder but I hung on. Luckily I didn't pull a Steve Irwin with the spines...

[​IMG]
    Here's me and my friend. He's 6'4".

Of course we weighed them, with honest adults around.

[​IMG]
    First one was real thick.

[​IMG]
    Second one was a bit longer and heavier.

I have the skulls drying with their mouths propped open, hopefully they will stay like that once everything rots off. All hot dogs were put on by my friend, he really is the "master baiter".

2. Kevin Cram

Kevin Cram <b>SPONSOR</b>

Tyler those are some very nice cats. I'll have to try the hotdogs and Hotel California next time. Great photos thanks for sharing.:D

3. gamedog

gamedog Well-Known Member

Nice fish Tyler!!
    Are those big boy's any good eating? I've eaten a mess of cats up to 6-7 lbs and they make for some fine viddles.

4. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

We're about to find out how they taste tomorrow night I believe.

Sorry the pictures are fuzzy, they're from my cellphone.

5. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

So that's whatcha look like:D

I don't know if I'd ever jump on a catfish.:rolleyes:

Good goin'.

6. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

Short and skinny, I know. :D

7. wayneborngesser

wayneborngesser Active Member

Politically correct term would be "wiry" not a bad thing, a "wiry" kid had all the climbing and pushup, situp records at our school when I was a boy, I was envious, as I was what "looked" like big and strong.

8. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

Think I'm gonna tie on the whole CD to the biggest Mustad hook I can find!
    Great going guy's!

9. eddybo

eddybo Well-Known Member

Those are some nice fish Tyler. BTW wiry is the way to go. I was always "big and strong" 15+ years behind a desk in a high stress job turns big and strong into big and fat. :)

10. davewilson

davewilson Well-Known Member

good going Ty! i've been out a couple times this year, caught more snappin turtles than catfish.

i'd recommend staying on the wiry side as long as you can. one day you'll look in the mirror and wonder who the fatso is!

11. Crane

Crane Well-Known Member

Thought I would post this picture of the fish my dad and son caught. 97lb Bluecat. It would have weighed more but it dried out a little when they were trying to find a scale big enough to weigh it. That's my dad in the photo. Sorry I can't get the picture to come up but here is a link.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c195/DEREKCRANE/Catfish.jpg

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  12. Tyler Kemp

Tyler Kemp SPONSOR

:eek: That's huge!

13. Crane

Crane Well-Known Member

Yeah, he said he had a larger one that straightened out a stainless hook and got off.

14. Crane

Crane Well-Known Member

97lbs of Bluecat

[​IMG]