416 ULTRA MAG

J E Custom

Hello All

A frend has ask me to build him a 416 based on the 375 RUM.

Has anyone tried this and if so what was the results,loads,
Ect.

I am sure this is not an original idea, but it is interesting.

He has a 416 rem and with the ULTRA MAG all that should
be required is rechambering and maybe opening up the rails.

This should approximate the 416 WEATHERBY with out opening
up the bolt face on the REMINGTON.

I Would appreciate any input good or bad.

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

Well"

Lot,s of views but no comments so I will proceed with
the project and hope for the best.

Will let everyone know how it perform,s.

J E CUSTOM

Hi i know it has been done it is an awsome conversian a friend of mine is working on a custom barreled 416RUM it will work well and you may get away without touching the feed rails try it before you attack them.

Cheers Bill
Australia

One of the well known gun writers for American Hunter magazine has his own chambering in 416. I believe he necked up a 375 case. I think he calls it the 416 UMG or UMT--'Ultra Mag' and then the T or G is his last name...

Good luck.

I believe this would be very similiar to the 416 Dakota. It would make a great dangerous game rifle or in a heavy rifle with custom high BC bullets a pretty good long range hammer as well although a bit lacking in velocity.

Kirby Allen(50)

Wild Bill
Thanks

I just receved an E/Mail about what Prime Minister John Howard Announced about the laws in Australia.

If it is true "Aussies Rock"

Thanks

Yes it is getting harder every time he opens his mouth it is all about restricting more gun ownership. They want to ban Tacticle rifles now so we all have to build long range hunting and target rifles instead. They are also trying to ban high performance calibres like 300 ultras, 30-378's and the 338 Lapua it sux.

Cheers Bill
Australia

What would a 416 RUM offer that a 416 Rigby does not? A dagerous game rifle with out factory loads that are easy to come by is not an asset. A friend just returned from Africa and his baggage did not arrive untill 4 days latter and his ammo was in those bags. He was shooting a 338 Win and ammo was easy to acquire there fore the hunt was not ruined.

JWP,

Its just easier to get into a Rem 700 receiver based rifle. Brass is also LOT less expensive and from what I have seen with most 416 Rigby cases, it is not well suited for high pressure loading.

Not that the RUM cases are really known for this either but its easier to throw a case away after 4 5 firings that costs you 60 cents then one that costs $2.

Just my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

JWP 475

Fiftydriver summed it up very well.

As you know the 416 rigby was introduced in 1911 and is still a great cartridge after almost 100 years.

But it was designed for pressures of 40,000 cup.

The 375 UM is designed for 55,000 cup, Brass is thicker
from case head to shoulder because of higher pressures.

All factory loaded 416 Rigby is loaded at 40,000 or less
because of all the fine old Rigby,s still out there doing
their job.

The idea is to build a more powerfull 416 on modern brass
that will work in a long action REMINGTON without any bolt
face modification,s.

Reloaders can up the presures on the RIGBY in modern rifle,s but at a cost.

The problem of items that go through customs is allways
time . ship early and talk to the P H about a contingency
plan if this does happen.

I have a 416 Rem and love it but some people want more velocity and energy for very large and dangerous game
but cant handle a 460 or 500,s recoil.

This round should add 250 to 300 fps and go from 5600 ft/lbs
to 6400 ft/lbs (the 458 win mag is less than 4800ft/lbs)That
would add over 1500ft/lbs than a 458 Win Mag and a much flatter Trajectory.

So this should be quite a rifel, easy to build and very powerful.

Thanks for all the comments
J E CUSTOM

I can push 350's out of my CZ rigby at over 2700fps (25" barrel). What kind of velocites will the 416RUM be doing? Why don't you just chamber a 416 Roy? Unless you have to have it in a shorter action, and with these kind of guns who cares, I don't mind the extra weight.

PTaylor

The 416 Buff has a case capacity of about 110 to 112grs
at 98 to 100% powder density.

300gr bullets 2900 to 3000fps
350gr bullets 2800 to 2900fps

Again this round was not intended to compete with other 416,s but to work in a long action rem.

There are thousands of shot out or poor shooting LA REMINGTON,s that have good actions and rebarreling is all that is nessary.

As far as weight,I use a #8 taper 26" tube and no break.
Some PH,s will not allow breaks so weigh is a plus.

This rifle weighs between 10 & 12 lbs depending on type
of scope and stock used.

(not a better mouse trap just a different one)

J E CUSTOM

That really sounds like a neat project. Since I dont care for belts and love the 416 caliber would be perfect on a long action, just like you said. Please let me know how it turns out. Pics and chrono data would be great!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.