.416 Rigby and 378 Weatherby

durak

Is there anyone using these two cartridges for long range hunting? With the addition of long bullets in these calibers I believe that they would be valid contenders for long range hunting in both accuracy and down range engery. Your thoughts...............gun)

If you can handle the recoil go for it. I've been thinking about a .416 RUM with the Cutting Edge 370's. 2750-2800fps with a .825 BC is like a .338 Edge/RUM/Lapua with more energy and a larger frontal area.

In a heavy gun with a good muzzle break I do not think recoil would be an issue. I've fired .416 Rigby's that didn't kick anymore than a light weight .300 RUM. I do know that the .416 Rigby case is only designed for around 52000 CUP and the 378 around 56000 - even though I've heard of people pushing the 378 to 65000 CUP.

I'm leaning to the 378 because of bullet selection - Cutting Edge has a .375, 375gr bullet with a BC of .940, where the .416 Cutting Edge 375gr is around .825. I know it is close and the .416 would have more velocity at the same weight of bullet, but the BC of the .375 is much better.

Alot of people have told me that I need to step up to the 408 Cheytac/505 Gibbs case, but I'd like to fit this into a standard Mag action with a few mods.

Last edited:
I have a .416 Wby mag that I used to play around with at semi long range. (600 to 700 yards or so) I had a Shilen barrel put on along with a McMillan A5 stock. I can send 350 grainers at 3050 to 3100 fps. I have not played with it in a few years, but with the high bc bullets available now, I have dusted it off. I'm getting ready to send it to Kirby for one of his "pain killer" brakes. Recoil is pretty rough. I'm hoping the PK brake will tame it down a bit. If you are thinking .416 you might give the Wby a look. It has considerably more punch than the Rigby.

If I wanted to go really big on a long range monster killer I'd just go all in and probably build either a .375 or .408 Cheytac.

Why go half assed when you can still be supersonic at over 2,000 Meters with bullets with insanely high BC's?

If I wanted to go really big on a long range monster killer I'd just go all in and probably build either a .375 or .408 Cheytac.

Why go half assed when you can still be supersonic at over 2,000 Meters with bullets with insanely high BC's?

You're right, the Cheytacs would be better. But as I stated before, I would like to fit in a standard mag action.

I do not believe that either of these cartridges are "half-***". Just to make a point: I could say that a 7 STW is "half-assed", why not step it up to the 7 RUM? The point is that doing more with less is always a bigger challenge, and I like challenges!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.