416 BUFF

Looks almost the same as something Im thinking of, just a 458 caliber, and a different case.

A 458 Lapua.. shooting 400 grains at 2700fps.

Very Very nice.

I shoot a 416 WBY so I am interested in all 416's. What are the ballistics like? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed the bedding of the rear of the recoil lug. If I may ask, what's the thinking there, ?

[/ QUOTE ]

The boss you see is just to position the action so the
beding screws are centered in the pillars and do not
act as recoil lugs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not knowing what a "boss" is in this context (Its always been someone that doesn't know as much about what I'm supposed to be doing than I do but, still controls my paycheck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif. Nice not to have one any more /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

What I gather is that the recoil lug is shaped to fit the "red" area?
332boss-med.jpg

I think if it were me I would have some holes in the end of the barrel,It hurts thinking about it HaHa

[ QUOTE ]
That is a beast, nice gun. I bet that thing will knock you on your *** when you pull the trigger. Hopefully one shot is all that will be needed!

[/ QUOTE ]

Arthurj
Its not bad until you get to about 40 or 50 rounds by
this time the fun is gone.

Victor
I will post groups,loads,load data,recoil.trajectory's
on completion of test(soon I hope).

Northman
Sounds like you have a very interesting project in mind
let us know how it turns out.

POP
I have several Weatherby's and really like them and
would have built one for my self(416 Weatherby) but
the 416 buff was an attempt at more bang for the buck,
Although not as powerfull as the Weatherby it is on par
with the Dakota and the Rigby.

Cost of a build is minimum .(Standard 700 long action with
magnum bolt face) brass cost me $47.00 per 100 as apposed
to over $3.00 each for the Rigby and $2.50 each for the
Weatherby.

Roy
I know it's hard to see with my picture taking ability
but the well in front of the "BOSS"is for bedding a standard
recoil lug (If you want to) .

I hope this answers most of the question.
thanks for the interest.

J E CUSTOM

What will it shoot a 400 gr bullet at?I have been wanting to try a 416 ultra mag but I didnt know if it was worth the trouble or not.I have 8000 rounds of 416 rem mag brass and about 5000 416 bullets.They quit making my favorite the 416 325 gr barnes x bullets.It shot 2800 fps out of my 24 inch marrel 416 model 70.I thought about converting another model 70 if i ever find one decient priced again.I am wondering how long they will make 375 ultra mag brass.Its not very popular and has increased in price a bunch after it came out to now.I was just wondering if the 416 ultra mag is worth the trouble.

Dgr 416

I have not completed all the testing but it appears that 2600 to 2650 is possible with a 26" barrel with reasonable
loads with the 400gr bullet.

And yes the 416/375 is worth the trouble. 375 rum Brass has gone up but it is still a lot cheeper that rigby and weatherby brass.

As I said earlier the 416 buff uses 375rum brass and neck
thinning was minimal (.014 to .015 after expanding to 416
dia.).

I liked the 325gr x also and even turned the 350gr x into
a 325gr boat tail by machining it.

On completion of testing I will post all loads and data
including recoil calculations.

Thanks for your intrest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
J E CUSTOM

[ QUOTE ]
I also like that barrel finish. The duece on the wall is nice too!
Can that finish be applied while the barrel is in the actio n?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes in most cases.And as far as the deuce goes it has a 540 cu in big block with a 600hp nitrous set up totaling around
1300 hp and probably could use a muzzle brake to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Thanks
J E CUSTOM

I had to go back and look at the pictures again just to see the duece.....NICE. I am building a 34 5 window, ERS chassis, 405 hp LS6 from street and performance, all steel body that I inherited from my dad. I do not want to race that monster you got, and I do not want to shoot that 416 but they are nice to look at.

Very nice job.
I too like the barrel and also always thought stainless and that color stock made a nice looking rifle.

morning, totally outstanding work. this is precision work on this weapon.
did u base ur parent cartridge off the RUM? b interesting the bullet weights u will b using in the build up.

waiting on the results.

just countrylightbulb

What will it shoot a 400 gr bullet at?I have been wanting to try a 416 ultra mag but I didnt know if it was worth the trouble or not.I have 8000 rounds of 416 rem mag brass and about 5000 416 bullets.They quit making my favorite the 416 325 gr barnes x bullets.It shot 2800 fps out of my 24 inch marrel 416 model 70.I thought about converting another model 70 if i ever find one decient priced again.I am wondering how long they will make 375 ultra mag brass.Its not very popular and has increased in price a bunch after it came out to now.I was just wondering if the 416 ultra mag is worth the trouble.

To date it will push the 400 grain at 2700 without any signs of pressure or bolt lift problems. (Very important for dangerous game) the 416 Rem Mag is notorious for pressure in climates over 100 o and this was the solution and with the added 300 ft/sec velocity that didn't hurt it.

The 350 grain Swift A Frame is my favorite bullet at well over 2700 ft/sec for everything.

J E CUSTOM