.416 Barrett

ITs actually more of a 50 Spotter necked down to 416 cal. This case is 1" shorter then the 50 BMG.

Its an interesting round but I think there are others out there that would get you same performance with less money and fuss.

This was Ronnie Barretts way to stick it to California for banning the 50 BMG!!! For that one can hardly fault him in any way. I will admit it is an interesting round though.

Kirby Allen(50)

Fifty-
Sir, In the big boy(.416)range what would you recomend for copmparison?
I have to admit my ignorance. I figured that this was the top dog for the .416 range. Thanks for the info! I learn more every day. I agree on the california issue. Given the money i would donate one to every gun club in California.
-Critter

I think that the 408 Chy-Tac would be a better choice as the cases were made to handle the pressure , it was desgined to do this job where the 419 Barrett was addapted to do this job.
The communist republic of Kalifornistan has banned this caliber (50 BMG) because some mud for brain reported that it could be used by terrorest to cause havoc like shoot down an airliner. Personaly I think that a terrorest would be better served with a $10,000 black market shoulder fired rocket than a $5,000-$10,000 50 BMG.

What kind of lead would you have to make if you were gonna shoot a plane traveling 400+mph anyway ?

--JDJ I agree

Sir, I actually got to hold the .408 chey-tac rifles at the mock riots in WV. I was a beast! Did not get to shoot it though. I was assigned to a chemical class during both demos. The SGT said it was awsome! I am pretty sure I did all the work that week! i may have gotten the wrong end of the stick. That is what happens when you bring command staff to big events.
Can you explain the differences in the case designs. If it is possible can you explain the difference in ballistics for me. Thanks for the info. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Critter;

I was in the development stage of building a 408cal on basicly the same case as the 416 Barrett. Both bullets are close to the same weight, 400-419grns. 3300fps is advertised from Barrett, you can get 3000fps with a long barreled 408C-T with much less rifle weight. I put my project on hold waiting for a better bullet, 45cal seems to be a good choice for the case size. I also wanted a long range lead cored bullet, not just a "lathe turned solid".
The Barrett case has a head size of .800 vs the 408 case at .635 witch translates into a much smaller action, the Barrett action minimum dia 1.900" vs the 408case action size minimum dia of 1.580" Both actions are about the same length. Barrel sizes, the barrett bbl needs to be at least 1.625" dia at the shank and a 408cal is 1.350" at the shank.
There are better wildcats out there based from the 408 case, 338cals and the 375cal, both will out perform the standard 408 C-T, exceptional accuracy with the 338 versions. Single shot rifles from 13#... Tactical rifles built for the wildcats run around 16# on up... vs the barrett style guns, 28# on up.

Balistic wise, there is not a whole lot of difference, i dont know what the Barretts balistics are, they have not released any pertant info, i asked and all i got was, its still in testing. I have built several 408C-T rifles, they shoot very well, but not to advertised load speeds, i found 2850 to be about tops in a 29" barrel. You are stuck with one type of bullet with either gun, monolithics, "lathe turned solids" Not a good choice for hunting or punching paper, they are made to shoot extreme ranges and hold a certain MOA tollerance, mainly to penetrate hard targets.

With a 338 designed 408 wildcat you have the choices of the range of High BC match bullets, the 300 Sierra match king bullet, with bc's in the low .800's, speeds in the 3400's will really excell for long range shooting and hunting. If and when Sierra makes a match bullet for the 375cal, it will also be a good choice based on the 408 case.

The 416 Barrett is a shortened 50BMG case, about 3.2" long. The 50 Spotter case is 3" long. The 408 case is a re-designed 505 Gibbs case, the case was strengthened to handle the 65,000 chamber pressure of the 408 C-T rifles. The 408 case is 3.030" long. One big difference is the primers, all 50cal cases take the big BMG primer, the 408 case takes std large rifle mag primers. Case capacities are as follows: (416 Barrett 200grns, 408 C-T 130grns)top loads.

In my opinon, i would build a 408 based wildcat or the 408 itself before the Barrett. If i wanted a "bigger rifle" then maybe the std 50 BMG or a wildcat on the 50 spotter case. A 50 spotter improved will have a case capacity around 200grns, couple this with a 750Amax bullet and you will acheive speeds "close" to that of a 50BMG rifle. The BMG rifle i had, top load was 210grns of powder, Lilja bbl, 34" long. rifle weight 32# Personally i like the lighter carry rifles, 16# range.

I hope this helps

Dave

Black Diamond--

Sir, I appreciate the info. I have spoke with a few LRH people and they all seem to really like the .338 range of bullets too! I think My next buid will be there. Just out of curiosity did you create a name for your .408 wildcat?
Thanks for the input. I will keep reading and studying. -critter

critter;

Yes i named my version of the 338-408 wildcat, 338 sniper-tactical...about 5 years ago i came up with this chambering...many tests and several prototypes later, i settled on this version. 35deg shoulder, some body taper removed. (Neck length .345 i moved the shoulder ahead just a bit) i set my reamer so its not needed to neck turn, but they are very close, just enough room for expansion. They extract very easy for a large case.

Dave

Dave;

I never shot a 338-408 that is a straight forward neck down. I have heard reports of several different guys who did it, 3200fps was about the top loads. My main loads are around 145grns or WC872 with the 300mk bullet, right at 3400fps. This is what works good in my personal rifle, HBMG-50 groups just as good but with a little more pressure signs. I put on the 35 deg shoulder to get the burning of the powder more efficient. I wanted to keep the shoulder under 40deg, these large cases can be finicky when it comes to feeding out of a magazine. I removed some of the body taper, but the extraction is still easy, even on stiff loads. Loads i tested through my Pro Chono were up to 3520fps with the 300mk bullet. The brass could not take these loads, primer pockets were loose. I need to shoot some through a better chrono and see where i am at for sure.
With the pressure signs i was getting im figuring the actual velocity was much higher than the chrono reported. When i can get to the big range i will run some through the Oelher.

I shot some 250grn MK bullets through it as well, 3750fps on average, groups were very good too. Maybe too hard on the bbl. A 200grn bullet will fly at 4000fps, great 100yd groups, one holers, not much for long range though. A 220 Swift on steriods!
[image][/image]
Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.