416 BARRET 2500 yard ... one shot !!

Sendero_Man

Anyone here see the FutureWeapons with this on it ?

Quite the impressive round.... and the new sighting system...

THIS explains the ONE SHOT !!!!!!!!!!!
http://www.barrettrifles.com/optics.aspx

What muzzle velocity should I expect with .416 Barrett ammo?
The Barrett Model 99 32" barrel chambered for .416 Barrett fires a 400 grain machine-turned solid brass ball projectile at approximately 3250 fps.

not up on my big stuff. is that 416 based on the shorty case? i'm guessing here but i don't think it's a full size 50 case is it?

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone here see the FutureWeapons with this on it ?

Quite the impressive round.... and the new sighting system...

[/ QUOTE ]

My son and I watched that show. It was entertaining. We immediately ran some exbal charts for the round and found that with 'hunting' bullets, not lathe turned solids. It has a very similar trajectory to the .338AM (within .25MOA when comparing apples to apples). It would have more recoil and with the less efficient cartridge and larger powder charge, it would require cleaning more often to stay accurate.

Hope that helps, just a little research I did on the net and some runs on Exbal.

Don

i saw the show last night and yes, the "cold bore" shot was emphasized plenty.i didn't quite understand the comparison between the 2 guns. it was like the other gun wasn't really zeroed at that range and the Barrett was.

it's interesting we always say we have to use hunting bullets and compare against them, but they can't use the hunting bullets. they are using the bullets that will be shot if it's used for real.does anyone know if Barrett makes those solids for themselves or do they sub them out.

they also didn't come out and say it but you're lead to believe they developed a powder just for the 416.anyone know what powder they're using or if it is a unique powder for this round?

Often, proprietory cartridges get a "mythical" quality attached to them by using words like "Special bullet materials", and "special powders". It was done with the 408 Chey-Tac (and it didn't help).

There are no special powders... to develope a powder takes HUGE resources (in monitory terms) as powder is made in multi-ton batches.

Why make a special powder when you can get any burning rate you want "off the rack".

[ QUOTE ]
i saw the show last night and yes, the "cold bore" shot was emphasized plenty.i didn't quite understand the comparison between the 2 guns. it was like the other gun wasn't really zeroed at that range and the Barrett was.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed the same thing, but BOTH rifles were Barretts. I also believe that the .50 wasn't zero'd identically to the new .416. Nothing will beat the Big 50 (and I love the .416s.....I have TWO Rigbys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif) in terms of true firepower. IMHO, the new .416 Barrett is just being over-hyped. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I'd rather have a .416 CheyTac (it's really a .416 PGW). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.