.416/.338 Cartridge?

I am going to back off of this one as my referances are tottaly difrent than the others I am hearing here

i have no experience with either but a friend has one in a heavy 1.850" barreled BAT 2"x10" action.. he has 2 barrels the same diameter.. one is a 338/378 weatherby with 40 degrees shoulder (ackley).. one is a 338/416.. he says its a pain to make cases for the 416 and ended up being about the same as the weatherby... hope this helps...
Brien

I don't think the .338/.416 is that bad to make cases for, it's certainly easier than some wildcats. It has a two die forming set and requires trimming (I had my wildcat made so that the neck is large enough I don't have to turn the necks). You make a false shoulder, then fireform. Not being a belted wildcat, you can turn the bases and then put the false shoulder on it without creating excessive headspace. The only problem I've had is not chamfering the necks enough and having them collapse when forming.

Sdiehn, it's easy to get confused with that book.
The figure he lists is a solid case measure, not internal capacity.
In other words, if you took, say, a 30-06 case and filled it with lead, he'll tell you how much water would be displaced by the entire case. It's something his CAD software will do automatically, so he included it.
He mentions it in the copy at the front of the book, and that it has a very limited usefulness in comparing one case to another.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.