.416/.338 Cartridge?

RMulhern

I know there's bound to be some "sperts" here regarding this cartridge so what I'm asking is for some info regarding this cartridge and it's performance factors. Loads, ballistics data, best action (in your opinion) for building one up, barrel lengths and contours, etc.? I've received some data from a computer friend a year or so ago from up Pennsylvania way...the good fellow even sent me a video of some stuff and my 64 year old mine has had a "brain fart" and as I saved his info....my PC "crashed" a while back and I lost the data! Believe the last name was Gessell...or something akin to that!

Need your help please!

Thanks!
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

GP--email me and i'll send you to the only 338-416 expert i know (that is online) as he doesnt post here anymore
frown.gif

JB
wink.gif

I designed and built a 338 based on the .416 Rigby case in 1995, and have taken elk and moose with it. The rifle is built on a modified Enfield action with a 30inch #6 Lilja barrel. It wears a Vais muzzle brake, and weighs in at just under 12 pounds. The recoil is not at all unpleasant with this set-up. The accuacy of the rifle is much better than I expected and I can't tell you how impressivly large animals lay down after being introduced to a slug from the business end of the gun. I like the caliber so much that I am in the process of building a new rifle based on this cartridge using a Nesika action Lilja barrel, McMillan stock, etc. Pacific Tool and Gauge made the chamber reamer. My basic load is 119 grains of H870, Barnes 225 grain X bullet, Federal 215M primers. This is near maximum in my rifle so judge accordingly. The only thing I don't like about the set-up is the cost of the 416 Rigby cases, and the process of fire-forming the brass. All said, though, an excellent caliber and a long range stomper!

BTW, if you are interested, I do have case dimensions (drawings) of the case and reloading information generated by QuickLOAD and QuickDESIGN that I can send you.

I built a .338-416 Rigby Imp. on a Geske action. Lilja 1.45 X 36" barrel, aluminum billet stock, at about 70#. I have a reamer with the same specs that Dan Lilja used back in early '90s. Also have a set of RCBS case forming dies. There are only 3 bullets to choose from, 250 and 300 Sierra MKs and the 250 Lapua Scenar. A friend has a 16# gun built on a Sako TRG-S, took an elk at 850 yards this year. It has a 32" Lilja HV profile barrel and brake. Another friend has a Nesika action, 1.45 X 42" Lilja barrel, weighs about 42#. All of the big, heavy guns have 12" -15" barrel blocks, floated receiver.
The first one that I saw was built on an Enfield, had a brake, weighed about 15#. There were a number of them used in 1000 yard BR in Montana, about 4-7 years ago but most shooters have gone to big 30s, or even 6 and 6.5 rifles for competition. The Big 338 is still popular for extreme elk hunting, though.
Idaho has some silly laws, one is a 16# maximum for big game hunting rifles.

[ 10-24-2004: Message edited by: Jay, Idaho ]

[ 10-24-2004: Message edited by: Jay, Idaho ]

Its basically already offered, albeit a pricey alternative to "doin it yourself". Check out the Lazzeroni Titan.

All I can say is LIGHTS OUT!!!
RA

No, It's has no resemblance to the Lapua. Use the SEARCH button and you will find a wealth of information on both these chamberings.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> would this not be the same as the 338 lapua????? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No, ignoring case taper and shoulder angles, the 338 Lapua is shorter and hence has less case capacity than the 338/416.

The 338/416 tends to be popular with the ultra long range hunters as they are trying to ring out as much velocity as they can get for down range performance.

Fergus

well got out my custom cartrige books by Ken Howell

the 338-416 is 2.7100 in leanght and a case volume of 148 grains of water

the 338 Lapua Mag is 2.7244 in leanght and a case volume of 158 grains of water

I don't know what cartridges Ken is referring to, but the 338/416 that I am familular with is 2.900 inches in length (shoulder 2.407 from base and .573 inches in diameter). My version of QuickLOAD shows the maximum case capacity of the 338 Lapua as 108 grains of water, while the 338/416 has a capacity of 139.52 grains of water. There is no way a Lapua can be expanded to the case volumn of a 416 Rigby case IMHO.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I don't know what cartridges Ken is referring to, but the 338/416 that I am familular with is 2.900 inches in length <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Amen. I just measured my .338/.416 and the brass (trimmed) is 2.892" overall. From what I've read of the .338 Lapua, you can get better performance with the .338/.416. I built mine for the 300 grain Matchking and I can get it moving at about 2900 f/s with a less than max load. Accuracy is good and I get about 15 reloads per case (100 cases last for one barrel!). I have pushed it as high as 3100 f/s but accuracy was lousy and brass life was essentially zero.

When you start adding up costs don't forget barrel wear. I get about 40 cents in barrel wear every time I pull the trigger.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.