416/300 Remington Ultra Mag

Well did the testing this morning and I am very pleased with how the cutting edge bullets shot. With 102 grains of R17 I got an average velocity of 3029 and an sd of 8. The group was .25" at 100 and will test at distance when I get the time to do so. The three holes 2" below the bulls eye are the group and this load shoots 10MOA higher than my 400 grain a-frame loads. I goofed up on the photo and the group is actually all the way to the right which is the bottom.

Reuben

Well, after seeing the ballistics data you've provided on this site I have my .416 Rem Mag in the shop for re-chambering to .416-375 RUM. The RUM cartridges were checked for feeding dependability in my CRF rifle and no issues were found, so the rifle is getting re-chambered. I've been using the 400gr Swift and 350gr Speer, but have been thinking it would make the rifle more useful to improve the ballistics of my .416 Rem with increased velocity along with different bullet types. The new generation of bullets like the Cutting Edge Bullets MTH is reviving traditional cartridge performance from somewhat limited use to dual or multiple uses, something too good to ignore and not utilize. I was wondering whether you've had a chance to try the shorter length magazine fed CEB MTH .416 350gr V11 yet. The new all copper VLD bullets low drag, lighter weight, and higher velocities seem promising in expanding the uses of the rifle, and I'm looking forward to working up several loads.

Well, after seeing the ballistics data you've provided on this site I have my .416 Rem Mag in the shop for re-chambering to .416-375 RUM. The RUM cartridges were checked for feeding dependability in my CRF rifle and no issues were found, so the rifle is getting re-chambered. . . .

Remember to think through the actual physics of the round.
For example, the 416Rigby and 416Weatherby have about 12-16 grains more capacity than a RUM-based cartridge. That means that at equal pressures, with equal barrels, the RUM-based cartridge will have less velocity. On the other hand, the 416Weatherby tends to be rated at 2900fps with 350grains for 6500ftlbs. Weatherbys themselves tend to be set at the hot edge of ratings, so I would not go building a hunting rifle in 416RUM with an expectation of 3000fps and 6800ftlbs.

In things of physics, you get what you pay for.

Last edited:
Remember to think through the actual physics of the round.
For example, the 416Rigby and 416Weatherby have about 12-16 grains more capacity than a RUM-based cartridge. That means that at equal pressures, with equal barrels, the RUM-based cartridge will have less velocity. On the other hand, the 416Weatherby tends to be rated at 2900fps with 350grains for 6500ftlbs. Weatherbys themselves tend to be set at the hot edge of ratings, so I would not go building a hunting rifle in 416RUM with an expectation of 3000fps and 6800ftlbs.

In things of physics, you get what you pay for.

You are absolutely correct in that assessment when using maximum loads only. I load all my ammunition, and find the flexibility of tailoring any load to the game at hand priceless. I don't like running 'hot' loads, and prefer longer case life and easy ejection. Like my modified Corvette Z06 with 670 HP, I didn't push it to over 200 mph+ even though I could easily have done so. You are correct in that moderation is the key to rewarding shooting. Additionally, I can also utilize a brake when necessary for the .416, like I do on my TRG-42 in .338 LM.

That's why I shoot the 416 Rigby at 2820fps with a 350gnTTSX. It's flat enough for anything out to 400yards.

It's comftable enough and comforting when walking a forest in Africa.
But I'm not sure that I would want to carry it for little 150lb mulies in the California Sierras.

That's why I shoot the 416 Rigby at 2820fps with a 350gnTTSX. It's flat enough for anything out to 400yards.

It's comftable enough and comforting when walking a forest in Africa.
But I'm not sure that I would want to carry it for little 150lb mulies in the California Sierras.

This is why I am converting the .416 Rem to .416-375 RUM, for additional velocity (without undue pressure) of the typical 400 gr A-Frame as well as for the additional velocity when using a relatively flat shooting lighter weight CEB VLD. The larger cases help overcome the powder volume that might be taken up by a lighter and longer non-lead (copper) bullet. This gives the .416 the ability to perform very well in multiple roles, and especially in greatly varying terrain and shooting distances, and there is nothing wrong with that. At my age it is hard enough to carry a light backpacking fishing pole up at Tuolumne Meadows for wild Browns, so it will not be my choice for carry in steep terrain either.

One thing to consider if you plan to go to Africa is the importance of proper head stamped brass. Usually your ammo will be inspected and compared to the cartridge designation on the rifle. Ammo that does not match the rifle may (read probably) be confiscated. It is becoming increasingly complicated to to bring rifles and ammo into Africa. Also if your ammo does not arrive your are out of luck with wildcat rifles. Ammunition for popular calibers may (or may not) be available, depending on where you are going. Just something to consider.

One thing to consider if you plan to go to Africa is the importance of proper head stamped brass. Usually your ammo will be inspected and compared to the cartridge designation on the rifle. Ammo that does not match the rifle may (read probably) be confiscated. It is becoming increasingly complicated to to bring rifles and ammo into Africa. Also if your ammo does not arrive your are out of luck with wildcat rifles. Ammunition for popular calibers may (or may not) be available, depending on where you are going. Just something to consider.

A good point and well taken. Out of curiosity, if I revise the barrel stamp from .416 Rem to .416-375 RUM (or perhaps .416 RUM) will the 375 RUM case head stamp suffice for the .416-375 RUM barrel designation, or will I need to have custom brass manufactured, head stamped, with one of the aforementioned designations? Thanks.

A good point and well taken. Out of curiosity, if I revise the barrel stamp from .416 Rem to .416-375 RUM (or perhaps .416 RUM) will the 375 RUM case head stamp suffice for the .416-375 RUM barrel designation, or will I need to have custom brass manufactured, head stamped, with one of the aforementioned designations? Thanks.

That is a good point that could cause you problems but shouldn't.

I named the 416 buff because of it's intended use and because it is a wildcat, but it is based on the 375 RUM and the barrel ID
could just as easily be stamped 416/375 if you were worried about a problem with customs.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/416-buff-21003/

I recommend mailing the Ammo to the outfitter well in advance of the trip in several different packages and at different times to avoid having ammo problems. Depending on finding "Any"
ammo that will work is a risky proposition.

J E CUSTOM

how does one mail ammuniction out of the US to an African address? How long does it take to obtain an export license for personal ammunition?

there is no issue on airlines when handcarrying personal ammunition, but this would not be accompanied.

how does one mail ammuniction out of the US to an African address? How long does it take to obtain an export license for personal ammunition?

there is no issue on airlines when handcarrying personal ammunition, but this would not be accompanied.

Most mail the ammo to the outfitter they will use because they have a known mailing address,
and tell the outfitter it is on its way some do both(Mail ammo and carry some to assure they will arrive with plenty of ammo) Ask your out fitter what he prefers and he should make recommendations based on his experience.

J E CUSTOM

I remember reading about a 40 Hart some years back. How does this round differ?

Interestingly, this is the cartridge that Cutting Edge Bullets has given me 340 grain MTH V15 load data for. This .416 340 grain .780 BC long range copper bullet chronographs at 2,980 fps in their 30" barrel test rifle with acceptable pressures. The Hart is a .416-375 RUM. On a side note, this same bullet chronographs at 2,754 fps in their 24" barrel .416 Remington test rifle, at acceptable pressure levels, higher than any 350 grain bullet loads I have come across. Loading the Sealtite band just outside the neck and having the bore rider construction keeps any lands jamming from occurring and allows very high performance from this high BC bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.