416/300 Remington Ultra Mag

Totch94

Does anyone have any information about this round? I have a 7mm RUM and a .338 RUM, I'm building a .300 RUM and want to build a large rifle to take to Alaska for BIG Costal Brown Bear and to Africa for Buffalo. I was thinking about something in .416 and since I already was working with the RUM cases this seems to make sense. I was curious if anyone and any ballistics or info on it??? Thanks!!!

Totch

Ed Brown offers it and there is currently one for sale on gunsamerica. I saw an article about the Ed Brown in 416 RUM last winter and the writer like the cartridge but didn't like the bench work (surprise, surprise).

The 416 Dakota is very similar. Both are based off the 404 Jeffrey case. The Dakota w/ 400 gr bullet: MV 2450 fps, ME 5330 ft/lbs.

Last edited:
why not a 375RUM???????????????????? Sean Dwyer from remington took cape buffalo,wildebeest,sable, and all other kind of game with it on there testing trip. the 375 h&h has been killing all kinds of game of there for years.

Totch

The 416 is a great round and meets the required size (Over 40 cal)
in some countries.

I designed and built one several years ago on a 375 RUM case that
that will exceed the 416 rem by 1000 ft/lbs and still not be loaded
near max called the .416 BUFF.

It can be built on a standard mag bolt face (.534 ) 700 Remingtion
with no changes to the action except maybe the rails .

Dave manson made the reamers and Hornady makes the dies.

Both Manson and Hornady have permission to make and sell the
.416 BUFF reamers and dies.

The .416 BUFF falls just below the .416 Weatherby in energy and
velocity.

There is a post on this rifle under Handloading dated 02-25-07
under .416 BUFF with some pictures if you are interested.

And by the way the BUFF has more case capacity than the Dakota
and the 375 RUM cases are easy to get.

Just a thought
J E CUSTOM

This is probably too late for an old thread, but here are my two shillings:

For a large inexpensive rifle in 416 the simplest answer is to handload the 416 Rigby.

For the 416, if I wanted 400 grains at 2400 fps, then I would get a 416 Ruger or 416 Remington. The same calibres would run the 350 grain .416" bullets at 2600 fps. However, if someone has a Rigby in a modern bolt action like the CZ, then loads that are probably in the high 50's and nudging 60,000 psi are very doable. Study the following picture:

These Rigby cases are from a 2013 cape buffalo, as is the bullet. The primers are delightfully rounded and are not pushing true max loads or flattened primers. Think of these loads as conservative, restricted loads for a "416 Weatherby-ish capacity."

The load? 101.5 grains Reloder 17, Fed 215 match primers, Hornady brass, and 350 grain TTSX bullets for an adjusted, chronographed muzzle velocity of 2825 fps.

The Rigby is basically equivalent to the 416 Weatherby, with 3-4 grains less powder and zero freebore.

Thought I would bring this old thread back as I have just finished my 416-375 RUM. I built the rifle as a guide gun here in Alaska for stopping bears in case of a charge. The bullet I have chosen is a 400 grain A-Frame it is pushed at 2600 fps and the cases fall out of the gun. I believe that I can match weatherby speeds if I push it harder, but don't see a point at the moment. With R17 I may try to get to 2700, but the H414 load at 94 grains is mild and effective. I am now in the process of loading some long range stuff using cutting edge bullets in the 340 grain V15 variety. Hopefully the bc of .780 is accurate as I have just found the max load for the rifle and the velocity looks promising and hopefully the groups will be just as good. I will post pics tomorrow when I have concluded my testing.

Reuben

340 grain V15 variety. Hopefully the bc of .780 is accurate
It's hard to believe that a .416" bullet in a relatively lightweight 340 grains could reach a BC of .780!

Still, 400 grains at 2600fps is a decent load, 6000ftlbs. Let the RUM reach its own level. There would be no reason to chase Weatherby ballistics, since it isn't a Weatherby and doesn't have Weatherby capacity. Remember, the 375RUM base is basically a 5000-5200ftlb round. Necking up brings advantages, but 6000ftlb would seem a reasonable level increase.

Last edited:
I was chasing a very similar purposed rifle for several years and considered this exact build. I ended up getting an itch for a Ruger #1 and killed 2 birds with one stone by getting a #1 chambered in 416 Rigby. I shoot a 400gr TSX at about 2550. Quite a lob for that big bullet. I am considering trying the 350 TSX to make it a little more useable

I'd stick with a good ole' fashion .416 remington magnum, surely it will be able to handle any game animal under most conditions. Granted that rigby or ultra mag case would add a little bit of velocity and energy but how much more would it take or is needed..most of the animal mentioned are shot at fairly close range, out to 100 or so, so unless your planning on shooting 250 plus at these animals I just can't see why you would need more energy. However I'm just like you, I'd love to pull the trigger one time on a cartridge passed on the ultra mag case, just to feel the love....

But Totch said he likes RUM. Who can argue with Captain Morgan....

Just being silly

I too am very fond of RUM but I don't drink it, I just shoot it. I don't want a 7mm (anymore) but 300, 338/300, 358, 375, and 416 are stuff of my dreams. With the 300 (3 at the moment) and 338/300 completed.

IIWM Get the 416/375RUM aka 416BUFF and knock your socks off.

the rigby is a tank, great round. I've been saving for my donor gun to do a double build for quite awhile, a few years off yet, though.

Well did the testing this morning and I am very pleased with how the cutting edge bullets shot. With 102 grains of R17 I got an average velocity of 3029 and an sd of 8. The group was .25" at 100 and will test at distance when I get the time to do so. The three holes 2" below the bulls eye are the group and this load shoots 10MOA higher than my 400 grain a-frame loads. I goofed up on the photo and the group is actually all the way to the right which is the bottom.

Reuben

Attachments

• IMG_1478.jpg
    IMG_1478.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 230
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.