40X Re-Build

Eddie1958

As you can see by my post number I really do not get much time to post. But what happened at the range was impressive that I feel that I should share my experiance. I purchased my 40X new in 1989 it came complete with a test target that measured .74. Not very good in my opinion. Over the years I tried many differnt loads and eventually got this down to between a half inch and three quarters inch. As this is my only long range gun accuracy started to fail and I new it was time for a change in the pipe.

Here is what I did ordered a new pipe from a top company after reading this forum installed a big lug, Sako extractor and rebedded to fit the new barrell. Had time to go to the range yesterday and start break in process, after loading up some mild loads. I shot 3 times and made scope adjustments to get colse.

In either case I shot 5 shots cleaning after every round and shot a group tha measured outside diameter on my calipers 5.07. I am shooting a 7MM Remington Mag which is .284. I believe if I am correct that this is less than a quarter inch group. I have pictures on my phone but do not know how to get it on here from my PC.

40X re-build.
Broughton 1 In 9 Twist
Off Brand Lug 1/4 inch thick I think it waqs a PPG Lug.
Bolt and action blue printed. Did not need much.
Re-Bedded
Sako Extracter installed.
Defensive Edge Muzzle Break 3 port.

Break in Load
Nossler Brass
168 Sierra Match
H1000 70.0 Grs

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts