40x cleaner

hammer111

is it ok to use rem 40x in my t/c encore for end of the season to put away? thanks.

I've never used that but, I believe its a cleaner, not necessarily for storing. Store your rifle with a good lubricant (gun oil).

I know of guys that actually use bar chain oil to store their rifles. Its thick and sticks to everything.

thanks, but im not soring it. I want to clean it. I don't clean during hunting season, unless I shot it several times. I only loaded it and never fired it.

I read that 40x is a good cleaner for copper. since I sighted it in and use copper jacket bullets. I want to remove any copper. I can't see any harm in using it. I just want to hear from people who have used it on ml's

40X is and abrasive cleaner like JB just us it in your new bore to smooth out a rough bore. I just us hoppes for BH209 are something like it to clean and then a gun oil after.

thanks smokepole. well I guess it is a new gun. I only shot it 5 times. Oil in a muzzle loader is ok ?

thanks smokepole. well I guess it is a new gun. I only shot it 5 times. Oil in a muzzle loader is ok ?

Not only is it ok, its actually necessary to keep the barrel from rusting. Just don't pour it in, that much isn't necessary. You need to completely coat the inside of the barrel with a clean oiled patch.

Prior to shooting it, run a couple clean dry patches down the bore to remove any lubricant. Be sure to "pop" a couple primers ONLY to eliminate any in the flash hole or channel. After doing that, load that Encore up and shoot her....

Note: Make dog gone sure you grease those breech plug threads.

Some shooters actually use anti-seize. I always did back in the day shooting Knights. However T/C makes a breech plug grease that I've always used. The object is to keep those threads from seizing up and causing you more problems than you want. The grease will keep the threads from seizing when stored and also while being shot. Stuck (seized) breech plugs can end up being a shooter's nightmare for some. I've known of guys that couldn't remove a plug and it required a gunsmith to remove it. A tube of T/C grease plug grease will last you a long time. Coat the threads, keeping it out of the flash hole.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.