40gr. Ballistic Silvertip

Kevin

Just returned from a big gopher hunting trip where I tried some of these little 40 grainers. I usually stick with the 55gr bullets but the BC on these was not too far off of a 55 so I decided to give it a go. The Explosiveness was amazing!!! It was a windy and I only had a few loaded, so I did not try anything past 350 but let me tell ya when those little buggers are hit anywhere in that range it is quite a sight. They also turned out to be the most accurate bullet in my gun when loaded around 4500fps. The only thing that is killing me is that I can easily shoot them faster but the groups turn into shot gun patterns if velocity is much higher.

Just some information I thought I would pass along.

Anyone else know of a good bullet in the 40gr weight that could hold up to say 4900-5000fps.

It is a 220 swift 40 degree, and just a 26 inch barrel. I loaded the 40's to 4750fps with 48.5gr of Rl 15 even though they did not shoot worth anything just to see how fast I could get them to go, still no pressure signs.

thanks.. for the info.. i have .220 swift
also.have you tried 40 gr v-maxs.. i thought
at first they would be to fragile.. but i have read where someone said hornady had load data for .223 wssm for 40gr v-maxs at 4600fps! i have shot factory loaded 40 grain
v-max ammo going 4,150fps. slow i know..
but anyway the b.c of those are equal to
40gr ballistic tips in my testing out to 400
yards.. i might have mine changed to .220
swift improved 40 too.. right now im using
Rl-15 for 55gr ballistic tips at 4,010fps.
i bet they would really smoke out of your
gun!!
grin.gif

Thanks, I will give the V-max a try.
And yes the 55 ballistic tips with 45gr. RL 15 are right at 4250fps. I may also try the 55 silvertips to see how much difference they make.

As far as 55gr. bullets the best one I have found, accuracy wise is the 55gr. Sierra FMJ. I got them for $7 on sale and figured I would just use them as cheep forming bullets, funny how things work out. They acctually blow up crows and gophers pretty good when hit at high speed.

Thanks, I was actually looking to get some 45gr bergers and give them a try as the BC isn't as bad.

Just to add a little field test experience. I got to try out the 40gr Sivertips on some rabbits. I was very impressed. They were hiding in the brush so shots were not far. Impact velocity on one was about 4500fps. The rabbit tumbled on impact and exit wound was about 3in. Longest shot was only 200 yards and the result was about the same. I was surprised to see that the bullets were actually staying together enough to make sizable drag marks on the ground and ricochet off to somewhere.

Michael- Where in MT are you, I am in West Yellowstone.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts