408 Cheytac Vs 338 AM?

wyobmf

Why neck the 408 down to a 338?
Why not just shoot the factory 305 GRN at 3200 FPS?
Thanks

Bullet selection, exactly!!! there is nothing really out there in any kind of expanding bullet for the 408. By necking down to 338 you increase your bullet selection, and it is still growing thanks to Richard Graves, and you increase velocity.

steve

Thanks for the info
I am thinking about buying one or the other.
Would it really mater how much a 408 cal expands compared to a 338 when you hit bone?
Thanks

Exactly, you take a bullet weighing 300grs and .338 diameter and compare it to another bullet weighing 305grs and .408 diameter, pretty easy to see which one has the higher BC. Now take that same 338 bullet weighing 300grs and make a good portion of the bullet out of aluminum, way high BC!!!

steve

The 305grn 408 bullet is a special bronze turned bullet, the BC is not as good as the 338 SMK. It was only made for a special purpose, if your 408 was sighted in with the 419gr bullets, they were supose to be a point blank bullet to 1000yds for advancing military targets. At the posted 3500fps, i never could get one to go that fast, they just punch a tiny hole. Lathe turned bullets are produced for obvious reasons, you dont need all the special dies and equipment to mass produce them when dealing with odd caliber sizes. You can get very high BC's with the monolithics as they will be longer than a standard bullet. Barrel selection/twist rate becomes a narrow margin with the solids.

Stay with anything that shoots match quality bullets, you will be happier in the long run.

Dave

Question: What is the basis for the CheyTac case? I visited their website, and they said nothing at all about the case.

I also checked one of their links, and it said I was not approved to open it. What's up with that? Something to do with the military?

If memory serves me correctly, the 408 Chey-Tec case started out as a 505 Gibbs. They redesigned the base to withstand higher pressures and necked it down. I do not recall if there were any taper or shoulder changes.

You are right about hitting major bone, the problem is the ability to guarantee a bone hit vs. the slightly off windage (like that ever happens) soft tissue lung hit.

You might want to check your hunting regs for your state. Most states will not allow full metal jackets/solids or non-expanding bullets. I have never seen a 408 bullet that could be deemed otherwise and would therefore be illegal for hunting in most if not all places.

The 338 has better bullets for hunting although it is still one of the most "forgotten" calibers for long range hunting bullets. If there were even half of the lrh hunting bullets made for 30 or 7mm in 338, I would be much happier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I Googled (should have done it before) "CheyTac" case, and Wikipedia gives a pretty comprehensive description: It is, in fact, the .505 Gibbs strengthened and altered.

The CheyTac case has a 158.9 water case capacity vs. 289 for the .50 BMG, and 120.8 for the .375 RUM

Thanks for all the info.
I think i will go with the 338. Sounds like the ultimate long range rifle for hunting to me. I shoot a 300 RUM now but this sounds like it will put that to shame.
How would I get the dies for the 338 AM?
Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.