400yd Muntjac.

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by robbobsam, Jan 18, 2011.

1. robbobsam

robbobsam Well-Known Member

I finished work early and got down the farm to do a bit of shooting. I didn't expect to come across deer, I was looking for rabbits hares and foxes but when 2 x deer turned up it seemed rude not to oblige.

The first was only about 75yds away so I dispatched the small one with a head shot, the larger male was over 400yds away so I went for heart and lungs and he dropped like a sack of spuds.

[​IMG]

Fantastic afternoon.

My smile says it all.

.243 Tikka T3 Super Varmint
    87 grain V-Max behind 44grains H414
    1" GROUPS AT 200YDS.

2. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

Nice shooting!

Muntjacs aren't real common here outside the zoo and I'm pretty sure suppressors are illegal for hunting.

Where are you?

3. angus-5024

angus-5024 Well-Known Member

in alot of europe it is illegal, or at least not preffered, to not have a suppressor for sound vialations.

4. hnts4fun

hnts4fun Well-Known Member

I wouldn't know a Muntjac from a Jackalope but in my book that was a very nice afternoon stroll.

Re: legal/illegal suppressor

There are many states in the US that allow ownership of suppressors and suppressed firearms. While they are uniformly verboten as hunting tools; they may be used on private property to kill nongame species. In Texas that turns out to be an awful lot of animals on the "okay to kill with a suppressed firearm" list... i.e. hogs and all exotics.

Matt

Great shooting and great-looking Muntjacs

5. rscott5028

rscott5028 Well-Known Member

robbobsam,

I wasn't criticizing the suppressor ...just making an observation.

Nice hunting/shooting.

--richard

6. hnts4fun

hnts4fun Well-Known Member

My bad, I could've passed that information along in a better way.

Matt

7. robbobsam

robbobsam Well-Known Member

Hiya Guys,

In the UK sound mods are perfectly legal and in most cases preferred over non moderated rifles for the obvious reasons of noise reduction.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2011
  8. roninflag

roninflag Well-Known Member

do those munts taste good?? i like that rifle. wonder if they imported that model to the US ever?

9. tackb

tackb Well-Known Member

nice shooting ! muntis are small ! i shot a roe at 404 yds and thought that looked small in the scope! it's a miracle it stood still long enough for you to shoot it?

for the record muntis taste delicious , probably one of if not the best of the uk deer to eat? although a young sika hind takes some beating.

well done , hell of a shot