400 Yd Mule Deer Video - Saskatchewan 2006

The interesting thing was that the deer knew he was there and that was a very poor display of hunting skill on his part. If you are any good the deer will not know you are there. That was/is a hard lesson for me to learn just how far an animal can sense you being there.

On the positive side, at least people are doing this stuff and going public with it.

The interesting thing was that the deer knew he was there and that was a very poor display of hunting skill on his part. If you are any good the deer will not know you are there. That was/is a hard lesson for me to learn just how far an animal can sense you being there.

Agreed. They were talking like they were in their living room. You'd never get away with that on a Coues :D

Not to take anything away from the shot which looked nice and clean to me but the fact that the buck (a good one) was with a doe and not too much worried with what was going on across the canyon from him and with all the chatting they were doing tells me he was probably in the rut which really messes with a bucks good sense. Any other time of the year with the noise they were making you would have never caught that buck out in the open like that. At least not an Idaho buck.

Not to take anything away from the shot which looked nice and clean to me but the fact that the buck (a good one) was with a doe and not too much worried with what was going on across the canyon from him and with all the chatting they were doing tells me he was probably in the rut which really messes with a bucks good sense. Any other time of the year with the noise they were making you would have never caught that buck out in the open like that. At least not an Idaho buck.

Isn't that the truth.

What is amazing is all of the critizism and negative posts that have been posted about a guy doing what we all aspire to do.

Mike Alford

Any novice hunter or shooter that is using this forum to learn what they can from people who are at the top of their field ( all you folks) surely does not need that type of information as far as the noise was concerned. The shooting was good but in the world I live in noise like that does not work well.

unless you live in saskatchewan and have hunted mule deer this is typical hunt.a mule deer are plentiful and not all that bright! in 2007 a buddy of mine in sask harvested a 200 class muley and these are not uncommon.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.