400-425 grain .375 ULD Interest?

thebbc

A Texas long range rifle company is looking at tooling up to build a new bullet in .375 caliber. The goal is to produce a high weight high BC .375 bullet with match and hunting qualities. The new bullet would allow guns such as 375 ultra and other high capacity cases to better serve the long range shooters. Question is, are there enough of us out there who would want or use this type of bullet? Projected BC would be >1.0

It would have to be tested and proved as reliable at close range as well as long range as far as expansion. It would probably have to be usable in a twist rate that would allow you to shoot other bullets. It would also have to be capable of 1/2 MOA or so. Do they have dies made up already or just in the thought stage?

As long as it will stabalize in my 1-10 375 AM....LOL

All kidding aside I would be interested but I believe that most factory 375's have a 1-12 twist, probably not going to stabalize a bullet of that length in those barrels if that is their target market.

Shumba and I are in the same boat with the 375 Allen Magnum

There would seem to be a bullet between the 350 SMK and an upper range of 420 or so that would put the cartridge in the range for which it was designed.

High bc hunting is the limiting use condition. Lead core would be preferred over solids.

A reasonable price would be nifty also.

If field testers are desired, let me know.

A Texas long range rifle company is looking at tooling up to build a new bullet in .375 caliber. The goal is to produce a high weight high BC .375 bullet with match and hunting qualities. The new bullet would allow guns such as 375 ultra and other high capacity cases to better serve the long range shooters. Question is, are there enough of us out there who would want or use this type of bullet? Projected BC would be >1.0

I would say there would be alot of interest but if your talking about a 400gr-425gr VLD 375 bullet with a BC of about 1.0 you are talking about very fast twist barrel and you might wont to look into what people really wont in weight for twist rate first. Myself I have a fast twist 375 so the heavy high BC bullets would be high on my list to try.

The end user of this bullet will be one that intends on using it alone due to the fact that it will require a higher twist rate. As a long range rifle company we understand all of the variables and requirements of both short and long range shooting. There is no intention of this bullet to be functional in all twists or all current barrels. The hope is to create a bullet that people would build a gun around rather than the other way around.

I have a 1 : 10 twist .375 Chey Tac rifle being built at the moment, so it would need to work in that for me to buy it.

A jacketed bullet yes a solid turned bullet no. Ive been keeping an eye on .375 bullets for about a year waiting for a bullet I feel suitable and affordable for my next Wildcat project. I don't feel that a .535 bolt face or anything less than a .590 will cut the mustard which will kill its popularity right off the bat and is probably getting the cart in front of the horse.!

Would be of interest. Dave Viers had some success with GS 414gr with progressiv twist machined solids. The best BC with smk is .78 in 12 twist and something for 10 twist would be good.

The Cutting Edge 400 gr. Is awfully close to what you are talking about. It is really accurate out of a 13-6.5 gain twist I have been shooting.

Just for fun I did some numbers on a 400gn Lead core bullet design.

Given.............
Bullet weight 400gns.
Barrel twist of 1 : 10
Air pressure 29.6 in/hg
Temp 59 F
70% RH
Muzzle velocity 3000 fps
Bullet length 2.300"
B.C. ?????

Stability factor comes up at 1.44 so it should be stable in most rifles. I would say that the B.C. would be quite high enough to keep most shooters happy so long as the basic design was well thought out.

i.e. a basic standard run of the mill BTHP bullet.

OK so who's gunna build it?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.