.40 S&W or .45 ACP for song dogs???

Would either round be sufficient for yotes out to say 50yds? I'm thinkin about carrying one with me for short range instead of the 12ga. since it would be much lighter.

I can't speak for the .40 S&W on a Yotes, other than my custom 10mm G20 which hammers Yote if I connect with about anything in it. I have shot a couple of Idaho dog's {looking for my cat's around the property} with my Colt 1911 .45 ACP Combat Elite... using Glaser "blue" Safety slug over the years. The Glaser I used was their 145gr, at 1350 fps and 587 fpe; zero was 25 yards, at 50 yards there only 0.14" low with 1187 fps and 454 fpe left over. The recoil was very light and accuracy was quite good, well within minute of Coyote. The rounds aren't cheap, but then it's not a lase & blaze target either. I can tell you of one of the Yotes I recall, was at least 50 yards out, I hit him center chest broadside and he folded like cheap Chinese luggage.

I actually didn't hunt dog's with the .45 ACP, it was just handy in the morning, it was kept in the bed room for protection, and one of our bed room doors opened out onto the back deck... so it was just easy to grab when the dogs came up the fence line in the morning looking for a snack.

I would suppose you could also look at Glasers in the .40 S&W… or you might try something in a 135gr HP at its top end.

Good luck.

Either one of those rounds would easily kill a coyote if you put it where it needs to be. I'm actually considering doing the same thing this winter and funny thing is I am deciding between a 40 and a 45 too. My range will be limited to probably 30 yards simply because of my skill level and comfort range. Good luck with which ever one you choose and keep us updated.

I'll agree with several of the others here- if you can do your part. I have a Glock 35 in .40 as well as a P220R Sig in .45 that I'd feel comfortable with- probably not past 35- 40 but if you do your part a .22lr will put one down out of a handgun at that range- seen it with the .22 so don't feel undergunned as long as you're having a good time and you're good on the trigger!

Will it kill a coyote? Yes. However, I don't like fooling around with anything less than what kills with authority. I won't get lazy and decide to carry something lighter, shorter, etc. and give up good killing power. Coyotes are tough customers and are very smart, east of the Mississippi, therefore killing opportunities are not that frequent.

My front weapon is a 3" 12 gauge Mossberg Turkey Special with a 20" barrel, Carlson .680" restriction and Dead Coyote ammo. Nothing has survived this weapon/ammo combination, inside 50 yards.

My .25-06 is sitting next to me on a bipod, on stand-by, in case something thinks it's out of range.

I carry a Smith & Wesson M&P 9mm for finishing shots.

IMO...there's no such thing as overkill. Dead is dead.

Good hunting, Bowhunter57

However, I don't like fooling around with anything less than what kills with authority. I won't get lazy and decide to carry something lighter, shorter, etc. and give up good killing power.

No offense, but I would suggest that you haven't shot anything with a 9mm- .45 at the same distances that you use your shotgun.
If that's not the case than I think you suggesting the OP should invest in different gear than he's got should warrant you're purchase of, at least, a .600 Nitro Express? Where is the fine line for killing power? ;)
Good setup but I think the original question was lost there.

I shot a fairly large coyote a couple years ago with my Glock 23c at 50 yards. I don't recall the ammo but it was FMJ flavor of some sort that I just happened to have in it. Hit it two or three times but not because he needed more than one, I just kept shooting until he fell. He didnt run very far at all either. Complete pass through's naturally, with pieces of lung the size of watermelon chunks laying here and there. Opportunistic shot as we were shooting jackrabbits and the #8's in the Benelli I had I felt were a bit light. Would/could I do it again? Of course. Would a hollowpoint be more appropriate? Of course. Would have my Glock 21 been better? Of course.

I wouldnt hesitate to do it again under similar conditions.

Yotes are wonderful test "medium" and are fun to shoot, especially with handguns :D

Living in Canada, I've never owned a handgun, and you can't legally hunt with or carry handguns here so I have no experience with that either.
Nonetheless, I see it weird how there is even a debate that the .40 S&W or .45 ACP COULD kill a 25-40 lb coyote, when they are both considered excellent guns for personal defense against two-legged varmints weighing 150-250 lbs.

Shot placement, folks, it's been said here before. I've CLEANLY killed a pile of coyotes with the .22 WMR and, more recently one with my .17 HMR.

Shot placement.

Precision > power

My experience is that 45 is plenty. I've taken a coyote with a 45 acp and 2 fox with a 9mm. All of those were at less than 35 yds but they definitely had plenty of power. I was not expecting a coyote that time but a 45acp 230 gr FMJ through the chest let him run maybe 50yds. The fox both took a single 9mm 115gr jhp which stopped them in their tracks. IMHO, the issue is accuracy, if you can hit it, a 40 or 45 is plenty. I consider those shots I made luck cause I'm no magician with a handgun but if you're confident at that range you're a better man than I. I would recommend a jhp though.

Attachments

• coyote1.jpg
    coyote1.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 75
  • FOXGLOCK.jpg
    FOXGLOCK.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 102
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.