3rd bullet in cold air to go straight at 1k

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by Michael Eichele, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Michael Eichele

Michael Eichele Well-Known Member

In very cold dense air at around sea level where I live, I am limited in what bullets I can take to 1k due to my choice of cartridge (24" 308). So far during the winter months over the course of 4 years, I have only had 2 bullets to punch straight holes at 1k, the 155 Palma and the 175 SMK. Latley I have been using the 178 AMAX due to the incredible accuracy they give from my rifle. I Was afraid that they wouldnt make it to 1k like all the rest, and that would suck because it is sooo accurate.

I went out to 800 yesterday and had a not so productive day. I didnt hit the cardboard box but once due to poor wind judgment and a dirty barrel. Today, w/a clean rifle and a good nights sleep, I shot again at 800 with twice the wind as yesterday. I hit 4" right and 4" low but it grouped 2.000" The second group fired (after corrections were made) hit right where planned and the group measured 2.750"!! I know some can beat that w/room to spare, but for me this is way cool.

I then took it to 1k. After a couple shots and adjustments, I fired a group. That didnt do as good (12.75") but the cool thing was there was less than 4" of verticle separation! The wind was some what eratic. If I learn to dope the wind better or shoot when there is no wind, I think this is my best load ever.

This is now the 3rd bullet my rifle will shoot straight at 1k [​IMG]

Can someone vouch for their performance on deer sized game to 800 yards?? I am currently working on what I am going to use this june for black bear and August for dall sheep. MV is 2550 but hunt at 4000-5300 feet in 50-60 degree air

Thanx for any input

[ 12-21-2003: Message edited by: meichele ]