38 RUM nickle cases

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by motrapper, Sep 12, 2009.

1. motrapper

motrapper Well-Known Member

what are the pros and cons to reloading Nickle cases by federal for the 338 rum I have about 60 cases and hate to throw them away so whats are the thoughts

thanks
    sid

2. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

There are pros and cons with the nickle cases, The pros are that they don't corrode and need
    polishing,They size really well, and as long as you weight sort them they shoot well, plus they
    are easy to find if you eject one on the ground. also they don't seem to shave as easy when
    chambering.

The cons are= They cant be neck turned unless you turn the inside, after some resizing (The
    amount varies based on the quality of the plating) they may start to flake or peel.

They are real good to use if you shoot two different loads/bullet weight by loading one with
    nickel and one with brass so that in the field you can switch loads with confidence that you
    have the right load for the job.

Just my take on nickle cases
    J E CUSTOM

3. yorker

yorker Well-Known Member

Don't know how true it is but read somewhere that it is much harder, and if a piece went down the barrel it could do some real damage. Food for thought

EK

4. J E Custom

J E Custom Well-Known Member

Nickle is very soft (Not as soft as brass) and will re size many times but if it begins to
    flake off it cant be good for the barrel.

The worst thing in a barrel is carbon.

J E CUSTOM

5. Partagas

Partagas Active Member

They will be fine just make sure you check their capacity compared to your remington brass and adjust loads accordingly.

If you do want to get rid of them I would be interested.
    Thanks

6. motrapper

motrapper Well-Known Member

Thanks Guys I figured it was fine just wanted to check with the pro's

sid nelson

7. woods

woods Well-Known Member

They can be hard on dies. I opened up some neck on some 280 rem nickle brass with the Lee Collet and this is what it did to the mandrel

[​IMG]

8. EddieHarren

EddieHarren Well-Known Member

JECustom, I've been outside neck turning nickle cases for 20 years. No problems what so ever.