3750 fps 257 weatherby

snox801

Just got to shoot my Hart .257 weatherby mag. Chrono at 25 yards average speed was 3750 fps. Factory115 nosler bt. Very impressed with the speed grouping at 1.23 inches. Gonna do load development this week. Hopefully I can tighten up those groups and still keep it around 3400 fps.

Holy crap!!! That's some serious speed! My .257 Wby load with the Berger 115 VLD's is right around 3,300 MV and grouping very nicely. I'm using 70.0gr of H1000 for it, seated 0.005" shorter than magazine length.

Might I pry for your load data and COL?

Man, you got a fast one. I built a custom 28" barrel 257-300 wby. Necked down a 300 wby case to 257, and with 110's was about the same as your 257.

Jeff

I would double check this with another chronograph on a sunny day. Two years ago I was with some folks from Weatherby to over pressure the Accumark action. Weatherbys are engineered not to destruct through overpressures. They will route the destructive gasses to go through the floorplate or out the bottom of the stock and away from the shooters face/head. We were using the 257 to do this demonstration. I can tell you that we never reached this velocity before the primer completly destructed and cartridge was done. This design on the action is why Weatherby contracted to Norma to make its brass. The brass is softer than other makes to let the primer go before the pressures spike so high that the engineering to reroute of the the gasses would not work. This post reminds me of a man that guarenteed me that he had a 300 win mag that would do over 3500 fps with 190 Hornadys. He even used my chronograph at the range to verify that his Winchester would out do the Weatherbys I build. He indeed did have muzzle velocitys in the high 3400 range. But when I pulled and weighed the bullets they were only 150 gr! Have you double checked the weight of the bullet?:) Happy and safe shootin!

Something is amiss. That is super fast for a 115 grn projectile. Pressure must be extreme. If no pressure signs check your chrono. Light angle, levelness and even external temp can make a difference. Also weatherby factory ammo tends to be very temp sensitive. I had a 30-338 I was shooting factory ammo sighting for a buddy and it blew primers and locked the bolt. It was fresh off the shelf. Contacted weatherby and they replaced the ammo.

got to agree. I doubt mine would even get to 3400 without leaving primers in the action. You have to be running some real extreem pressures or have a real optimistic chronograph. First thing id try is moving your chrono out about another 10ft. You could be reading the muzzle blast.

I hear what you are saying it seems really fast to me also. I am gonna try again later this week. I double checked the chrono and it seemed to be on. My 223 is right where it has been for evbut ery other chrono always around 2900 give or take. Forgot to mention it is a 28 inch barrel but still seems to good to be true. Should I move the chrono to say 50 yards and see what it reads. I was expecting around 3400 to 3500 with the longer barrel but this seems crazy fast even for factory ammo.

I hear what you are saying it seems really fast to me also. I am gonna try again later this week. I double checked the chrono and it seemed to be on. My 223 is right where it has been for evbut ery other chrono always around 2900 give or take. Forgot to mention it is a 28 inch barrel but still seems to good to be true. Should I move the chrono to say 50 yards and see what it reads. I was expecting around 3400 to 3500 with the longer barrel but this seems crazy fast even for factory ammo.

I pulled up your old post asking for load for the 257Wby

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/257-weatherby-mag-load-data-116155/#post818788

Are you using AZShooter loads?

No this was with weatherby factory loads. I will be working up loads later this year after work slows down a bit. I am expecting slower handloads as many people state. I will be focusing more on accuracy than speed after all doesn't help to be fast if you cant hit anything.

No this was with weatherby factory loads. I will be working up loads later this year after work slows down a bit. I am expecting slower handloads as many people state. I will be focusing more on accuracy than speed after all doesn't help to be fast if you cant hit anything.

I read your first post and figured might of been mistake anyway good luck.

After reading another post, I am gonna start fresh. Im gonna put my chrono under a easy up to eliminate the sun issues. Next gonna make sure everything is level and square. That should eliminate some of the variables that my be giving me high readings. Ill repost after another round of testing hopefully this week. Thanks for all the feedback im learning a ton from this site.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.