375 Caliber A-max...might be a possibility. Please read.

Nosler Accubond 300 gr. bc .485
Nosler Accubond 260 gr. bc .473
Nosler Partition 260 gr. bc .314
Nosler Partition 300 gr. bc .398

Sierra Gameking 250 gr. bc .371
Sierra Gameking 300 gr. bc .480
Sierra Matchking 350 gr. bc .805

Hornady Interlock 225 gr. bc .320
Hornady GMX 250 gr. bc .430
Hornady Interlock 270 gr. bc .380 (temp. suspended)

Barnes TTSX 250 gr. bc .424
Barnes TSX 235 gr. bc .270
Barnes TSX 270 gr. bc .326
Barnes TSX 300 gr. bc .357
Barnes TSX 350 gr. bc .425

Swift A-Frame 250 gr. bc .271
Swift A-Frame 270 gr. bc .349
Swift A-Frame 300 gr. bc .325

Speer Hot Cor 235 gr. bc .317
Speer GrandSlam 285 gr. bc .354
Speer Boat Tail 270 gr. bc .429

AccuBond
Partition
https://www.sierrabullets.com/products/bullets/rifle.cfm/caliberID/13
Hornady Manufacturing Company :: Bullets :: Rifle :: Choose by Caliber :: .375 375 CAL
All-Copper Tipped TSX® | Barnes Bullets
TSX - One Of The Deadliest, Most Dependable Bullets | Barnes Bullets
Swift Products
Speer Bullets - Product Offerings

Not one of those bullets has an aggressive profile at all. The nosler accubonds are the best bc wise and were developed years ago. Why don't you go back to shooting sub 200 grain smk's in 30cal.... or 250 smk's in 338..... Then the design playing field will be leveled. Sorry if I sound coarse but 375 hasn't had any real bullet developement for years, either heavies for the big calibers or lighter pills for mid calibers.

[/QUOTE]
If Hornady makes a, say, 320 gr A-Max or better yet an InterBond in 375 with a decent G1 BC >0.550 the rush on that bullet will act as impetus for them to bring out an even better 375 caliber heavy weight bullet with a BC approaching 1. Everybody , standard 375 and niche shooters both, will buy the 320gr. But not all of the Standard 375 shooters will buy the heavy weight. If they come out with a standard however, the market response will move them to produce the heavy weight also, I firmly believe this.

It boils down to this, done right we both get what we want.

KB[/QUOTE]
That would be fine, but if done this way it could be 5+ years or who knows how long before they make a heavy .375 bullet. Then some one else will have picked up the task by that time.

.550 bc is not enough ! not even close ......
the lesser capacity cartridges don't have what it takes to make any use of it anyway and the big guns won't benefit much , we need .800 bc or more !

what's the point in wasting another 5 years with another so so bullet when we could have a really good high bc bullet in 375 cal .

trying to make your pet 22" barreled 375 H&H a long range hunting rifle is much like applying bright red lipstick on Rosie O'Donnel and trying to pass her off as a beauty queen
ain't gonna happen, man !

like Kirby said .... " get a bigger engine !"

I noticed Cutting Edge bullets were left off your list. I have plans to test the 320 grain pills with a bc of .8 in my RUM. Ceb's give you several, high bc choices in very heavy pills up too 402 grains. Problem is that they are 2+ bucks a bullet.

No offence swamplord but you are stuck on big case 375's. More power to you.

But Lefty pointed out something you continue to ignore, no development in 375 caliber. None of those bullets breaks 0.500 in BC. That sucks bad! 308's have gone from the low 0.4's to the mid 0.5's for 180gr in the last few decades. But 375's are stuck in time.

As to your other point about standard 375's being Factory ammo medium range weekend hunters you are very wrong. Two years ago maybe but not now. Up until I bought my 375 Ruger I could count the number of people I'd met with 375's on one hand, actually know twice as many who own 458 WinMag's. But when I went to buy a 375 Ruger things had changed. Federal Way Discount Guns couldn't stock them reliably. I placed my order for one and it took three months to get it from Savage. Very few people knew Savage made them so there wasn't a run on them. The Cabela's gun guy (Lacy WA) told me he sold every one of the Rugers he got in within hours of them hitting the rack. This was in late 2011. He had customers offer him a $150 premium to buy his personal 375 Ruger. Sportsman's Warehouse in Federal Way could only get a dribble of them and they sold everyone as soon as they came through the door.

Fast forward to 2013. I have run into more reloaders looking for 375 caliber bullets than I can count. The local Sportsman's Warehouse has boxes of Berger 308's in various flavors including 210's but only three boxes of 375's, one Speer 270 and one each of Sierra's 250 & 300's. The box of Hornady 300 SpBT Interlocks went home with me. Know why I didn't buy more Hornady's? Because they don't make 'em anymore! None of the guys are looking for the plain jane bullets. They use what they can buy but everyone I talk to want the TTSX, Accubonds, or the Sierra's. Speer 270's are not well know so they will disappear soon too.

The fact is hunters want the sleek bullets even if they are only shooting 200 yards. Its like cars, do you really need a Porsche? Why don't you just settle for a Smart Car or one of those new Chinese Electrics, they will do what you need just fine! According to the sales guys at Sportsman's the LR factory loads are in high demand. No way the average hunter shoots past 300 yards so why the demand? Because every bit of slam hunters take on the firing line they want delivered to the target at range. If you tell the average hunter your ammo has 100 ftlbs more @ 300 yards you sell that ammo even if it is not much more really. It's about demand and not need. Build it and they will buy it.

The original listed BC for Speer's 270 was 0.473. With the Speer and the Nosler 260 AB on the table in front of me the lengths are 1.3" and 1.39". The Speer has a longer BT of 0.188" to 0.163". The seating length into the rifling (which I use to determine the finesse of the bullet, longer=pointier or more streamlined) is 3.557" for the Speer and 3.548" for the Nosler. So I see the Speer as a step in the right direction and I will find out the actual BC in my gun. But neither of these two are the best effort possible.

Nosler makes Accubonds in two flavors, regular and LR. Examples:
6.5 mm; 130gr AB = 0.488 BC, 129gr ABLR = 0.561 BC
7 mm; 160gr AB = 0.531 BC, 150gr ABLR = 0.611 BC (ABLR is lighter bullet!)
308; 200gr AB = 0.588 BC, 190gr ABLR = 0.640 BC (again the ABLR is lighter!)
These examples show a 15%,15%, and 8% increase in BC and the last two with lighter bullets. If the 260 AB is 0.473 BC then an increase of 15% is 0.544 BC. The 300 gr AB is 0.485 BC and in LR form would be 0.558 BC.

You are saying that those people I met looking for 375 bullets given a choice between a 260 ABLR w/ a 0.544 BC and a 260 Partition w/ a 0.314 BC are going to pick the Partition?

Really........? And you think the CheyTac guys are going to pass them up too?

KB

Michael Eichele

That practical experience you point out is the reason for the Speer 270/ Nosler 260 comparison. The Speer has a more refined shape with a similar advertised BC. There is room to improve the 375 especially in the ogive, maybe with a secant profile but definitely more calibers radius. Speer uses a longer Boat Tail than the Nosler or Sierra so this should also be added.

There is an increased demand for 375's and Hornady has jumped with the 250 GMX. Barnes came out with a TTSX @ 250 and they have started developing LRX bullets in the more popular calibers (6.5mm, 7mm, 308, 338 etc.). If Barnes saw a market for the 250 TTSX can they see a market for a heavier LRX? My hope is yes. Hornady dropped the 300 Interlock with no heavy SpBT replacement, is there something in the pipeline?

I believe Berger has the adaptability to pull this off. Anything they add to 375's is going to be a slick missile.

And every one of us is going to buy it!

It is great to see so much interest is 3/8" bore!!! I see everyone as a valued friend.
Just wish there was a bowl of popcorn in the middle of the table to throw at each other....

KB

No offence swamplord but you are stuck on big case 375's. More power to you.
KB

Guilty as charged and absolutely no offense taken and not attempting to offend anyone !

Debate has long been a way to resolve important issues and speed up the process to come to terms and satisfy all parties involved .

You made several valid points regarding the lack of new developements in the 375 cal. arena, at least with the major bullet manufacturers ....The more input we have from shooters on both sides of this dilemma regarding the lack of better bc bullets in 375 cal. will hopefully sway Hornady and Berger to expedite some new bullet designs in our favor .

What I would really like to see is a 375 cal Swift Scirrocco, hell... I'll cave and go for a 330 gr Scirrocco with a .600 bc ... I think that would work for all of us to start with !

After all of the "chatter" Topshot nails it.

If ya don't have a large case 375 cal you have no idea of the growth potential that can be experience when tripping the trigger on the big thing.

The 375 RUM is pretty much entry level into this experience.

The 375 CT is solidly into that realm.

The 375 Allen Magnum and 375 SnipeTac (Both pretty much the same design) have the upper edge, so far.

A well designed 375 cal lead core offering of at least 370 grains would be the cat's meow.

The SMK is "good enough" in all aspects except for iffy expansion on game.

Just sayin'

Agree

However, the bullets produced deep, straight line penetration several FEET into a dirt bank about 50 yards away that I was using as a back stop. That tends to indicate to me that the bullets were indeed stable. IIRC, the 350 grain SMK is about 1.750" long. When I plug that information into a stability calculator, it spits out a stability factor of 1.713, which means this bullet is easily stabilized in a 12 twist.

We agree here, the 350's change the nature of the H&H. Gains in terms of both penetration and impact are noticeable.

In the times I carried them I made a couple of head shots finishing for other guys, nothing to really challenge the bullet.

If there's a big bear, bison, or safari in your future you should really look into existing .375 350's.

Guilty as charged and absolutely no offense taken and not attempting to offend anyone !

Debate has long been a way to resolve important issues and speed up the process to come to terms and satisfy all parties involved .

You made several valid points regarding the lack of new developements in the 375 cal. arena, at least with the major bullet manufacturers ....The more input we have from shooters on both sides of this dilemma regarding the lack of better bc bullets in 375 cal. will hopefully sway Hornady and Berger to expedite some new bullet designs in our favor .

What I would really like to see is a 375 cal Swift Scirrocco, hell... I'll cave and go for a 330 gr Scirrocco with a .600 bc ... I think that would work for all of us to start with !

I agree completely. I consider it no small victory that discussions of the need for better .375 bullets are generating such interest and passion. I am hopeful that will somehow translate into being able to make persuasive enough arguments to convince the bullet makers to take steps to satisfy the demand for improved .375 bullets.

We agree here, the 350's change the nature of the H&H. Gains in terms of both penetration and impact are noticeable.

In the times I carried them I made a couple of head shots finishing for other guys, nothing to really challenge the bullet.

If there's a big bear, bison, or safari in your future you should really look into existing .375 350's.

Your assessment regarding the 350's is certainly consistent with my observations. The 350's did things up close that none of my 300 grain loads did. If I really wanted to smash something up close, I would load 350's. Given what I have observed from the SMK, it may well behave like a solid in that situation. It would be interesting to test its penetration characteristics alongside bullets like the TSX.

I can't help but wonder if some judicious chamber throating and a bit less bearing surface would lead to better velocity potential for a bullet like the SMK. A plastic tip and better expansion characteristics would compel me to take another look at this bullet for my H&H for more all around use.

In the end what talks are bullet sales, I know of no one shooting a 375 H&H that would buy more than one box of of these for anything more than playing with because they would be new.

The chambering that will sell bullets will be the ELR chamberings, to me that would be at the very least a 375 on an improved Lapua case and more so the Cheytac case. If there was a 370gr A-max I'd have a reamer on order tomorrow for a SnipeTac and I plan on burning the barrel of it with hundreds of bullet a year.

There is a strong number of guys shooting for group at a mile plus using the Cheytac case and shooting for score or group size, those shooter will buy bullets by the truck load!

Anybody try annealing the forward portion of the 350 gr SMK ?

Some shooters here on LRH were doing that with the 160 gr 6.5mm Matrix bullet to help initiate expansion at distance and slower velocities ..

I gotta locate that thread and see how they fared with that process !

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.