36 bulls 8 different bullets

carbinero,

Ask 50 people and you'll get 100 opinions.

It's so hard to say what will happen when that bullet strikes. Yes, glance a heavy bone, and you'll get a deflection. 10mm left or right, and you either miss the bone, or hit it square on and break it with authority.

Look ... just think about your shot placement. It's the key with the tools that you've got and keep the shot as close as you can. You don't have enough gun for more than 200m, but the closer you get, the more gun you have.

Anyway .... here's a really excellent resource for planning your shot placement on elk (including skeletal structure):

Elk Anatomy & Shot Placement

I think you've got enough gun for elk, but you don't have much more than enough, so think about your shot placement and get as close as possible.

The bll that resides in my freezer got there Via a 150 gr. core lokt out of a 7x57 ruger 77. It was effective enuff that i just sold my .338 win. mag. because it is 2 lbs. lighter. I believe impact velocities below 3000 fps is where people need to use a Standard Bullet. The premium bullets are just too hard to expand properly and dispense energy in the animal.

I believe impact velocities below 3000 fps is where people need to use a Standard Bullet. The premium bullets are just too hard to expand properly and dispense energy in the animal.

Thank you, Thank You, Thak You!! I agree 100% and the farther below 3000 the impact velocity the less the solids expand if they do at all.

Jeff gun)-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am starting to believe that the Nosler Partition may be the best of both worlds .... frangible, but not too frangible ....

Proload......If you aren't talking about extremely long ranges where high b.c.'s are important, I agree with you 100%. The old partition is VERY hard to beat (all around). I"ve killed around 25 bull elk with partitions with a 6.5 out to 6oo yards.......rich

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.