36 bulls 8 different bullets

Well done.

I've started to log this sort of data, but just wish that I had done so in the past as so much detail has been lost ... You've done well and thanks for sharing this knowledge.

There is so much discussion regarding which bullets are best for deer, and I found myself thinking that you hit the nail on the head regarding the Nosler Partition.

It's a great bullet, and it's understandable why it works so well in that the frontal section will open reliably at low velocity, and at high impact velocity it will fragment ... and in this case thats OK because the rear section will always maintain weight and drive through and give you that wound canal and exit wound. I like it.

I've been using bonded bullets for the last 15 years, but I have to say that I'm inclined to use the Partition where I anticipate impact velocity to be under 2400-2600fps. I think that above that range the bonded / monolithic's do their best work, but at lower speeds, the risk of them not opening reliably becomes a concern.

If I had to hunt with only one bullet at both high and low impact velocities it would have to be the partition. It reliably delivers the best of both worlds.

any kill whit accubonds ? good initial expanding an retained energy in a wide range of vel.

Hope your data isn't too damning: I just bought 5 boxes of Barnes/Black Hills Gold 168gr TSX in 308 for elk this Oct, and I ain't buying more.

It may also be said that the more common use of performance bullets like Barnes, the Accubond, etc, and their performance in standard calibers, has led to the sales push of magnums.

I didn't exactly understand what was being said. My group and I have definately gone back to the old school bullets such as Game King and Hornady rnsp and etc. We use these bullets for generally unknown conditions that can range anywhere from 5yd to 500yd shots. When expected range differences are different we use an appropriate bullet construction for the anticipated velocities at the expected yardages. It is common to have 2 different bullets and weights while hunting with long Range Rifles, a very heavily constructed bullet for very short ranges where accuracy is not that important and a lightly constructed bullet for long range. I wonder what a blood trail looks like ( joke ), Wet brush and heavy rains quickly eliminate all blood trail. Our animals need to fall where they stood. Make your bullet choices a good choice - there are no magic bullets only magic moments.

I got the TSX thinking I would likely hit my elk in a bone, and wanted it to keep on plowing, since .308 isn't really a monster-killer. Is all of that info to suggest I'd be better off returning to a bonded core style next year, like the old Core-Lokts?

No I'm not suggesting any bullets. I am saying that for my given hunting conditions I favor traditional type old school bullets for general hunting and that I purposely select bullet design to maximize the terminal performance on close range and longrange hunting. Every bullet design from cast lead to Monoliths has advantages over any other bullet. In my opinion the guys that got those 36 Elk have there conditions perfectly nailed down air tight. For me nailed down tight is haveing the ability to choose and when mixed conditions do my choosing for me I head right for the old school general purpose bullets.

I got the TSX thinking I would likely hit my elk in a bone, and wanted it to keep on plowing, since .308 isn't really a monster-killer. Is all of that info to suggest I'd be better off returning to a bonded core style next year, like the old Core-Lokts?

carbinero,

I think that your plan of hitting the Elk on the front leg is a good one. The 168gr Barnes will work brilliantly and is ideally suited to your application. I would try and keep shots under 200m if I was you because those bullets do their best work at higher impact velocities, and the 168 is already only going to be doing about 2700fps out of a 308.

You're on the money. Go do the business with the Barnes, and make next year's decisions next year .... by then you will have a wealth of experience with the Barnes and will know what you liked, and what you disliked about them.

Have a blast.

Well, 2 bits of consolation, anyhow:

a) I won't beat myself up anymore about whether I should have had the barrel cut shorter than 22", and

b) I might not even pack the bipod for shooting those big mamas under 200.

Well, 2 bits of consolation, anyhow:

a) I won't beat myself up anymore about whether I should have had the barrel cut shorter than 22", and

b) I might not even pack the bipod for shooting those big mamas under 200.

Mate ... there is nothing negative about this ....

You've got a first rate bullet of the correct weight for the task and you're going to hunt elk .... what more could you ask for ???

:)

Not trying to rain on anyone sparty but we used to load the 168 TSX in a 300WBY for elk and deer, shot quite a few with this but it is not enough bullet to punch an elk in the front shoulder, I've shot two cows right below the joint of the shoulder blade and the lower shoulder bone and not one penetrated the chest cavity. The bullets deflected forward out the front of the shoulder. I would shoot elk with them for sure but now way would I let one get on the front shoulder!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.