.358 Winchester experience anyone?

That depends on the barrel. But I still want the extra inches, because I want the impact. Its also why I have a Whelen instead of a 358 Winchester or a 350 Remington Magnum. I'm not after lighter weight, since that means more recoil. I'm after longer range and greater wounding potential. My latest Whelen has a 26 inch barrel and weighs around 9.5 lbs with scope. I have no problem with that, and I have an effective range of over 800 yards with both the 225 and 250 grain loads. If I were hunting in close country, I might like the 20" barrel, just for maneuverability, but most of my hunting is here in Colorado, where my shots might be anywhere from 40 yards to 5 or 6 hundred, with longer shots the norm. I plan for the longer shots, practice for the longer shots and hope for the closer ones. But I want the extra edge and capability I get from that extra velocity.
You have it right. Long barrels with slower burning powder may get you significantly more velocity. My 20" 358 Winchester (4064 powder for that) is for short range shots in the deep woods from a stand. For my Texas hunting this year, still from a stand but with longer shooting lanes, I will take my 375 RUM and maybe a few shots with my 358/300RUM (IMR4831 for both of those). I have a 35 cal barrel blank on my lathe for a 35 Whelen, will try to get a few shots with this year as old. I am 75 so I have to get all this done before I am just too darn old.

20200822_080243.jpg
20200822_080238.jpg

Xanthos .358 24" barrel
That is a pretty rifle. I like it. I think it would be neat in combat. Especially with a 20 round magazine. What velocities do you get out of the 200 and 225 grain bullets? I think that rifle/scope combo might be at the perfect weight, too. I carried much heavier and less powerful weapons when I was in the service.

As a resident of the great state of Indiana I am restricted by kooky Deer cartridge laws on public land. It's created a small cottage industry of wildcats based off of the DNR's cartridge limits. There are half a dozen of these 35 caliber wildcats that you will never see anywhere else. I rebarreled a 308 Win Ruger M77 MKII into a "358 Hoosier". It's a 358 Win case trimmed to 1.8" and I use IMR 4198 and Barnes 180 Gr TTSX. It shoots great and thumps game. It's basically the exact same as the OG 358 Win but it's all legal and stuff :rolleyes:

You have it right. Long barrels with slower burning powder may get you significantly more velocity. My 20" 358 Winchester (4064 powder for that) is for short range shots in the deep woods from a stand. For my Texas hunting this year, still from a stand but with longer shooting lanes, I will take my 375 RUM and maybe a few shots with my 358/300RUM (IMR4831 for both of those). I have a 35 cal barrel blank on my lathe for a 35 Whelen, will try to get a few shots with this year as old. I am 75 so I have to get all this done before I am just too darn old.
If you're doing your own work, you might think of chambering it to 35 Whelen AI. It won't get you much more than 100fps more, but it will extend your brass life by about a factor of 3 or so. I've been thinking of getting William Trotter to Ackley Improve both of mine. I'd have to have him ream a die for them, but that shouldn't be a problem.

I shoot mild loads in my 358 win 200 gr hornady SP with H322 at around 2450. It stomps everything but me.....lol Ive shot some hot stuff but just not needed east of the Mississippi its king in mild mode.

Sounds like you're duplicating the 35 Remington. The Remington will kill about anything you need to kill at ranges inside 150 yards or so. And in a 7.5lb rifle or maybe 8.5lb it is a mild recoiling cartridge. That works.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts