358 STA - Questions

Lexington

For my next project I'm thinking about having one of my M77's in 338win rechambered and rebarreled into 358 STA.

Any 358 STA shooters out there that might be able to help me with some questions?

Here they are:
- Is the Ruger M77 Magnum action large enough for this rechamber - will there be any feeding issues from the magazine?

- What do you think the minimum barrel length is that I could get away with without sacrificing bullet velocity?

- Any particular muzzle breaks recommended for this caliber?

Thanks,
Lexington

A standard magnum model 77 won't fit a .358STA. You would have to use the large magnum action they use on the .375 H&H.

Thanks for the follow up - I've listed 2 of my Ruger's in the classifieds to raise money for a new/longer action for the 358 STA build!

This caliber really fascinates me - I like the BIG bullets, and the '338 on crack' velocities for the larger weight bullets.

Been easy to find a lot of gunsmiths interested in building one for me... tough to find anyone with real-world experience shooting one.

I've built several for myself and friends and I still have one. It probably hasn't been shot in 8-10 years but it dispatched numerous elk and a moose in it's day.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.