.358 hoosier for indiana

pickle61

gun)I AM CURRENTLY HAVING A SHILEN BARREL IN .358 HOOSIER ON MY REMINGTON 700. THE PARENT CARTRIDGE IS THE .358 WINCHESTER AND THE CASE LENGTH
IS CUT TO 1.8". THAT IS THE NEW RULES FOR 2012 DEER SEASON. MY QUESTION IS
WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK WOULD BE A GREAT LOAD FOR WHITETAILS HERE IN
INDIANA? ANY INPUT WOULD BE HELPFUL FOR BULLET/POWDER INFORMATION.

gun)I AM CURRENTLY HAVING A SHILEN BARREL IN .358 HOOSIER ON MY REMINGTON 700. THE PARENT CARTRIDGE IS THE .358 WINCHESTER AND THE CASE LENGTH
IS CUT TO 1.8". THAT IS THE NEW RULES FOR 2012 DEER SEASON. MY QUESTION IS
WHAT DOES EVERYONE THINK WOULD BE A GREAT LOAD FOR WHITETAILS HERE IN
INDIANA? ANY INPUT WOULD BE HELPFUL FOR BULLET/POWDER INFORMATION.

I'm going to assume your using a handgun of course. Unless your using something like an 18" or 20" barrel, I can't see any advantage over the .357 Herrett (use .225 Winchester or 30-30 cases). The 180 grain bullet will do 2000 fps out of a 16" barrel. Also your shots in Indiana will usually be well under 200 yards. The dies are a stock item, and that alone will save you some serious cash. There is a rimless 30-30 case out there (6.8 Rem), but it also pretty short. The 35 Remington in a 14" barrel and using 180 grain bullets is good for about 2000fps. You could shorten it .130" and still have .33" of neck. Then all you have to do is lay your hands on a set of 35 Remington dies. Much easier to do, and in a pinch you could use a standard 35 remington chamber
gary

YES, I AM HAVING A 22" BBL PUT ON MY REM.700 RIFLE. I CURRENTLY OWN 2 T/C
PRO HUNTERS AND A CVA OPTIMA ELITE SWITCH BBL RIFLE. I HAVE .45ML,.50ML,
30-06,.223,.35 REM,.357 MAX.,.460,.500 AND OTHERS FOR BBLS. WHAT IS THE CASE LENGTH FOR THE .357 HERRET? I HAVE AN OLD MOSSBURG BOLT GUN THAT
WAS BORN A .308 AND CUT RIFLED TO .358 WINCHESTER. BUT CASE LENGTH IN RIFLES CAN NOT BE LONGER THAN 1.8" LONG FOR INDIANA DEER. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!gun)lightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulb

YES, I AM HAVING A 22" BBL PUT ON MY REM.700 RIFLE. I CURRENTLY OWN 2 T/C
PRO HUNTERS AND A CVA OPTIMA ELITE SWITCH BBL RIFLE. I HAVE .45ML,.50ML,
30-06,.223,.35 REM,.357 MAX.,.460,.500 AND OTHERS FOR BBLS. WHAT IS THE CASE LENGTH FOR THE .357 HERRET? I HAVE AN OLD MOSSBURG BOLT GUN THAT
WAS BORN A .308 AND CUT RIFLED TO .358 WINCHESTER. BUT CASE LENGTH IN RIFLES CAN NOT BE LONGER THAN 1.8" LONG FOR INDIANA DEER. THANKS!!!!!!!!!!gun)lightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulb

1.77" is the max length. It's a beast in a handgun, and very hard on optics. I just assumed you were going with a handgun. In a 20" barreled rifle you should see about 2250fps using 200 grain bullets. All I'm thinking is that there would be a lot less work with the 35 Remington shortened or the .357 Herrett. It's ashame they still won't let you use a 30 Herrett, as I was working up a case that was off the .357 Herrett, but used 225 Winchester brass. In a good bolt gun with a 20" barrel it ought to push 150 grain bullets to about 2400fps. It's a super efficient case.
gary

I ASKED THE CONSERVATION OFFICER AND HE SAID THAT THEY GO BY THE STAMP
ON THE BARREL. AS FAR AS CARTRIDGES GO. I HAVE FRIENDS THAT ARE CUTTING
THE .35 REMINGTON CASES BACK FOR RIFLE USE, BUT THE CO TOLD ME IT IS NOT
LEGAL.gun)gun)lightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulb IF
I FIND OUT DIFFERENT I MAY BE SELLING A GUN AND GOING ANOTHER ROUTE. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY AND GOOD LUCK.

i have done three 35 rems trimmed back with 200 ftx, excellent accuracy, trying a 358 winchester trimmed back now. the co's can write you a ticket for anything that doesnt mean it will stick, the law is the law,they better be carrying dial calipers.

They can't go by the head stamping, thats not in the rules. The rules are specific about what is legal as far as case length. Thats what matters. Why do you think there are so many 358, what ever you want to call it based off the 25 wssm. If you are going to a rifle in IN because you think you will have a performance advantage, then then go with a cartrige based off the 25 wssm, shortening your cartrige isn't going to stretch anything out that you couldn't do with a shotgun or muzzleloader. I have shortened 45-70's for a couple people, nothing amazing in the velocity range but gets the job done. You might be surprised what your 460 S&W will do out of a 22-24" barrel. But if you want to build off of what you have I would shorten a 35 Rem cartrige, and call it good.

NOT THE HEAD STAMP ON THE BULLET. I AM TALKING ABOUT WHAT IS STAMPED ON THE BARREL. I THINK IT IS **** TOO.gun)

I ASKED THE CONSERVATION OFFICER AND HE SAID THAT THEY GO BY THE STAMP
ON THE BARREL. AS FAR AS CARTRIDGES GO. I HAVE FRIENDS THAT ARE CUTTING
THE .35 REMINGTON CASES BACK FOR RIFLE USE, BUT THE CO TOLD ME IT IS NOT
LEGAL.gun)gun)lightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulb IF
I FIND OUT DIFFERENT I MAY BE SELLING A GUN AND GOING ANOTHER ROUTE. THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY AND GOOD LUCK.

Years back I actually had a DNR Officer measure a .445 Supermag case I was using. Happened in Morgan County. My cases were cut to 1.585", and the guy was trying to measure them accurately with a six inch scale. He was still going to write me a ticket when his buddy came up. His buddy shot IHMSA, and new exactly what a .445 case was. The rule then was 1.60" max length.

Looking at cases and of course be restricted to the 1.80" rule, I'd think that a guy could neck up a .284 case to 35 caliber. Then shorten it to 1.775 with a .34" long neck length. I'd think you might be able to get 2600fps out of a 22" long barrel with 200 grain bullets. Be a bear to build. Sorta like forming 30 Meyer cases.
gary

Most everyone in my area is cutting back .35 Reminton and 45/70 both to the max. legal limit of 1.8". I have even had people tell me that they would and have
shot the .358 Winchesters cut down in a .358 Win. barrel. I currently have an old
Mossberg (1970's) that was born a .308 and has been cut rifled professionally to
the .358 Winchester. I was told by a professional gunsmith NOT to do that at all. Betlightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulbter to be safe than sorry.!?*****lightbulb:cool::cool::rolleyes::Dgun)

Most everyone in my area is cutting back .35 Reminton and 45/70 both to the max. legal limit of 1.8". I have even had people tell me that they would and have
shot the .358 Winchesters cut down in a .358 Win. barrel. I currently have an old
Mossberg (1970's) that was born a .308 and has been cut rifled professionally to
the .358 Winchester. I was told by a professional gunsmith NOT to do that at all. Betlightbulblightbulblightbulblightbulbter to be safe than sorry.!?*****lightbulb:cool::cool::rolleyes::Dgun)

What about a Remington Mod. 600 with a restamped barrel shoting a shortened 35 Remington? It would hold more powder than a .357 herrett. That Meyer case is a bear to form!!!
gary

now I live in Indiana, and I also know whatkind of people you have to work around when you come up with your own combo. Half of the folks enforcing the laws are not qualified to do so, and this means the ones that are, are over taxed. Back when it was the 1.60" rule, I used to bird hunt with a conservation officer several times a year. He was a good man, and knew his business. He told me that there really was no good way to check the cases, so he just kinda eyeballed them when he did check them (in otherwords it had to be something like 1 3/4" long to get his attention). He was more worried about saftey and poaching than anything else. I made him a gauge that was actually about 1.625" long for measuring cases out of delrin. I hounded him to death about wanting to use 30 caliber bullets, and even told me he'd like to use the 30 Herrett and the 7mm Herrett, but they wouldn't allow it. Yet in that sametime period I personally saw farmers in Brown County shooting deer with 30-06's and just leaving them lay on their property. Now we have to deal with crossbows and poachers (in Indiana a crossbow is a poacher's favorite weapon). He told me that if they ever made them leagle for anyone that wasn't handicapped we'd be in trouble. I think he's right looking back.

If by chance you could find one, the old lever guns that were chambered in .357 Maxium might well be a great combo with the right bullets, but for me it would be a 30-06 case shortened and opened up to accept 44 caliber bullets. You could use the Hornaday "leverution bullets", and probably shoot well over 275 yards with it. They even made Rem. 788's in 44mag, so all you'd need to do is use .444 brass shortened to about 1.775".
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.