357 magnum loads

The best powder for the 357 Mag. I found was HERCO. It has quite a bit of graphite coating that makes sort of dirty but give great results. Small Rem pistol primer, 10 Gr. (TEN) of HERCO and a 150 Gr. Keith style Semi Wad Cutter cast bullet with a firm roll crimp, was one of my loads. Check the Lyman Manual if you want to go max. This load has a pretty bright muzzle flash out of a 4 inch Revolver barrel.

158gr JSP or JHP of your choice.
SPM primer.
H110. Min and max are about 1-2gr apart usually in load data.
Heavy crimp.

These are very accurate and they let out a fireball.

I've also had good luck with Power Pistol and 140gr Leverevolution. But they aren't cheap plinkers.

aa #7 or blue dot with standard primers and 140 grain cast served me well back when I wanted mid range performance from my 357mag... when I went to a contender 357 from a revolver I switched to win 296 and 158 xtp pills with a mag primer for plinking...:D

I use H110 for my .357 & .44 Magnums. Can't remember what my powder throw is set for, but it works great for the .357's with Federal small magnum pistol primers and Hornady FTX LeverEvolution bullets. Shoots like a cadillac in my 6" S&W 686.

Plinking loads = 1000fps.

150/158 grain hard cast bullet of the "Keith" type. Regular small pistol primer - anybody's, any full length 357 Mag case, 6.5 grains of Unique for about 1000fps from a 6" barrel and 7 grains for about 1100 fps from a 6" barrel.

I have about 20,000 of this load through my S&W M28. Cannot beat it with anything else!

KB

Auto comp if u can find i think I'm over max load but I got 1.25 at 100 with a lever group was 2 with lil gun

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.