35 whelen rebore advice needed

jvr

I am going to have a Remington 700 06 rebored to 35 Whelen. I would like some advice on barrel twist and grove numbers. I plan on shooting heavy bullets 225 and 250s. Your experiences would be appreciated.

I am going to have a Remington 700 06 rebored to 35 Whelen. I would like some advice on barrel twist and grove numbers. I plan on shooting heavy bullets 225 and 250s. Your experiences would be appreciated.

IIWY, I'd have it re-barreled instead and while you're at it, have the action blue printed but that's just me. Go with Remage barrel configuration and you're golden. :):Dgun)

This should be based on which barrel in '06 is already on the M700 action. Some of the Remington barrels (newer) respond well to re-boring while some of the older hammer forged barrels do not. I suggest calling the folks who provide this service to see:

Will this barrel be a good candidate?

If not, what do they suggest?

Time frame for re-bore?

Cost?

My reasoning behind calling them is that there are only four (4) shops in the U.S. who do the re-boring. They are all very busy as you might expect and there are no new shops coming into this type of work.

If the re-bore shops tell you 'no' on the re-bore then you're essentially off the hook since you can use any gunsmith now to have the M700 re-barreled.

Regards.

Several guys I talk to have used JES Rebore for 358 win and 35 Whelan. They opted for the 5 groove, 1 in 12" twist. Two week turnaround usually. Its going to be about half the cost of a rebarrel. Keep in mind that you may have to spend a longer time "breaking in" a rebore as they are cut rifling. I would at least do a bit of firelapping on one, just for grins. So, if you figure in your initial cost, then time and money on components, you may be happy. If you want to "hedge your bet", nothing is going to beat a new Premium barrel of course. The older I get the more "valuable" is my time, ha. Now, if I was being nostalgic and wanted to keep a favorite rifle looking the same, etc, and if I wanted an odd caliber, sure, I'd do a rebore. Now keep in mind that a 35 Whelan doesn't have to be a .5" shooter to kill anything you want to with it, in fact, I imagine it would be safe to say any rebore will shoot into 2-3" right off the bat and maybe much better. In time, it will "shoot in" and you could be enjoying it the entire time. Trigger time is never wasted time, ha.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.