35 Whelen questions

Understood about other factors that contribute to overall accuracy. I am very meticulous with all of these. I have several rifles that shoot groups in the .1's and .2's at 100 and hold better than .5 moa to extended ranges. I've just never been able to achieve this with 35 cal.

Agreed, bullet selection is limited but 35 cal projectiles perform better on game at Whelen velocities. 338 bullets for the most part perform better at higher velocities. They seem to be built tougher. Not knocking 338 its a fine caliber and superior in most regards.

I guess what I am asking is: does anyone have a 35 that consistently shoots .5moa or better? And if so: who's barrel did you use?

I ask this because i want to try to duplicate that. Thank you for your thoughts

I think you are running into a bullet issue more than anything. The smaller the group, the smaller the allowable variance in bullets. If you can't find a Berger, SMK, ELD , Amax in a bore size....well its just tougher. I have not worked with the 35 BECAUSE of this, so I haven't weighed and micced a bunch of 35 stuff but none of the 35 stuff available is KNOWN for accuracy. For knocking game down? Yep. Shooting bugholes....not really.

Understood about other factors that contribute to overall accuracy. I am very meticulous with all of these. I have several rifles that shoot groups in the .1's and .2's at 100 and hold better than .5 moa to extended ranges. I've just never been able to achieve this with 35 cal.

Agreed, bullet selection is limited but 35 cal projectiles perform better on game at Whelen velocities. 338 bullets for the most part perform better at higher velocities. They seem to be built tougher. Not knocking 338 its a fine caliber and superior in most regards.

I guess what I am asking is: does anyone have a 35 that consistently shoots .5moa or better? And if so: who's barrel did you use?

I ask this because i want to try to duplicate that. Thank you for your thoughts

I read one of your older post about sorting brass,turning necks and that shrinks groups and have you done that with 35 rifles and which one's have you shot. Would you do that with better barrel

I have done full brass prep with 35 Whelen including light neck turning just to clean them up. I've used Rem and Win 06 brass necked up and 35 whelen remington brass. Anneal brass every firing. I don't weight sort brass any more because I don't see results on target doing it. I do get smaller more consistent groups with neck turned brass. Barrel is a Hart 14 twist #5 contour. I get sub moa with 200gr Barnes TTSX and moa or a little larger with all the other bullets. I like 8208xbr, 2000mr, Varget, and IMR 4320.

My other is a 35-28 Nosler.:cool:
So far I've had groups right at or just under an inch at 100yrd with 225gr sierras and IMR 7828ssc at 3100fps. No luck with 250gr Hot Cores. I have not shot 200gr Barnes for groups yet but velocity with Superformance powder is impressive. Like 3400fps with no pressure signs impressive. This barrel is a Pac-Nor 12 twist sendero contour 25" plus a 4 port Beast Break.

I wish Hornady would do 225, 250, and 285gr Eld-X in 35 cal.

I think I'm like alot of reloaders... I just want a little bit more. :D It would be cool to hear what other 35 cal guys are doing out there.

Granted, I've only shot a few groups with my new, 358 Norma Mag, Shilen barreled, Mod 700 w/Shilen, 1/14" twist, #4 contour and the 180 TTSX Double Tap factory ammo...but they clustered into one hole. That is about 1.5" more than actually "needed" in the game fields! Some calibers are more meant for killing than targets...I am a firm Believer that 35 caliber is one of them. Of course, no reason "not to make it into a .1, .2 " shooter...if you can. I feel the same way about the 375 caliber. Now, the 338 'can be" a real, bonafide "target big bore". Its because of the available bullets...same as the .50 cal.

I have done full brass prep with 35 Whelen including light neck turning just to clean them up. I've used Rem and Win 06 brass necked up and 35 whelen remington brass. Anneal brass every firing. I don't weight sort brass any more because I don't see results on target doing it. I do get smaller more consistent groups with neck turned brass. Barrel is a Hart 14 twist #5 contour. I get sub moa with 200gr Barnes TTSX and moa or a little larger with all the other bullets. I like 8208xbr, 2000mr, Varget, and IMR 4320.

My other is a 35-28 Nosler.:cool:
So far I've had groups right at or just under an inch at 100yrd with 225gr sierras and IMR 7828ssc at 3100fps. No luck with 250gr Hot Cores. I have not shot 200gr Barnes for groups yet but velocity with Superformance powder is impressive. Like 3400fps with no pressure signs impressive. This barrel is a Pac-Nor 12 twist sendero contour 25" plus a 4 port Beast Break.

I wish Hornady would do 225, 250, and 285gr Eld-X in 35 cal.

I think I'm like alot of reloaders... I just want a little bit more. :D It would be cool to hear what other 35 cal guys are doing out there.

Hang over from my BR, I still shoot 6ppc and couple other tight neck rifles. They don't make bushing for 35 cal so I had neck bushing die/seater made from chamber reamer for the 35 Whelen AI. this is 2nd custom barrel on that rifle and was chamber for 35 Whelen so had pretty good supply Rem Brass and Wilson made 35 Whelen seater for that. When I changed barrel out and like I mention first post I would be happy with either and I still and would done bushing die/seater for either.

I was thinking at one point of fire form laupa 30-06 brass but have to think maybe 1/4" gain maybe little more but you don't have the bullets.

I like your 35-28 Nosler and have you done any post on Nosler forum about that rifle and bet some of those guys like to hear about that rifle. Well good luck

I've said this many times...I really appreciate and learn from the BR crowd, Hi-Power Competition and Military Sniper Community. Even though I am not a LR hunter, I can appreciate all the advancements in rifles/cartridges/loads/bullets and so on. I have had rifles that "sometimes" shot bugholes, they won't do it consistently, but for my use, I can't use anymore than .5 to .75 inch anyhow, ha. Keep up the good work guys!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.