.35 whelen loads

I've been working with RL17 in my 35 Whelen. I'm getting very good results with 250gr. bullets. Right with, or faster than 338 Win mag. It's hard to believe. This powder is amazing.

What would be a good starting R17 charge weight for the 35 Whelen and 225 gr Barnes TSX bullets? Many thanks.

I have since abandoned the RL17 idea with the 35 whelen. I didn't have any issues, just that I use my whelen for black bear only and my shots on them are always under 200yds, so that I can study the bear first for size and to be sure of no cubs.

If you wish to try it, I'd start at IMR 4350 min charge weights and carefully work fr there. But I prefer to use RL15 and 225gr tsx. Works very good and kills well at 2660fps.

Shooting rl15 with the 220 speer fp in my whelen. 'Twas my brother's rifle and I haven't put any together yet myself, but it does shoot well with the 200 rounds I got with the rifle.

I see that the last post was a few years ago. Incase anyone is interested or still visits here I use a 35 Whelen almost exclusively for most of my hunting. Including Okahoma whitetails.
The best bullet I've found for my rifle (Model 700 Remington) is the Hawk Spitzer 225 gr. .035 jacket. my load is 59 gr. R15 with Federal primer. I don't know what the velocity is but I bet it's pushing 2,700 fps. This load is very accurate at 1 MOA or less when I do my part correctly. It's accounted for a dozen deer several hogs and 5 elk.
I've never recovered a bullet but from any of the game but I like the fact that there's no tracking involved. everything I've shot with this load has dropped immediately in it's tracks. The elk were all cows but 2 of them were very large and the exit wounds were approx. 2". The farthest shot I've taken with this gun was 223 yds on a large cow elk
grazing in the open. she dropped where she stood. I'm very pleased with this combination. I might add that the deer hit with this round doesn't have that much meat damage with just a good full penetration and a quarter size exit wound. I have used the 225 gr. Accubond bullet on a spike bull elk several years ago and he didn't take 5 steps and he was down. again full penetration and the shot was 112 yds. There is bullet manufacturer that has come out with some very interesting bullets called Cutting Edge Bullets that offers a .358 bullet called the Raptor. I think it weighs in at 160 gr. but has 4 petals that break away inside the cavity of a game animal causing a lot of terminal damage inside. I'll have to experiment with some soon.
--Walkabout Hunter

If you will test them and report the results, I would send you 20 259gr copper bullets.

If you will test them and report the results, I would send you 20 259gr copper bullets.

I would certainly like to test them for you but my friend
that had the reloading press and all the paraphernalia to reload with passed away late last year. I have 100 rds of loaded ammo with the Hawk bullets left. If and when I decide to start reloading again I'll let you know.

The latest Speer manual had a couple of surprises, 250 grain Speer Hot cor with66.2 grains of Power Pro 2000 MR @ 2707 fps, also CFE 223 64.1 grains for 2664 fps
I have a couple that were safe in my rifle Varget 57.5 grains 225 TTSX 2640, 58.0 grains 4064 and a Nosler AB 225 grain for 2700 fps, as well 55.5 grs RL-15 under a 225 grain Sierra for 2700 fps. Again use all these as information, reduce loads by 10% before attempting.

The latest Speer manual had a couple of surprises, 250 grain Speer Hot cor with66.2 grains of Power Pro 2000 MR @ 2707 fps, also CFE 223 64.1 grains for 2664 fps
I have a couple that were safe in my rifle Varget 57.5 grains 225 TTSX 2640, 58.0 grains 4064 and a Nosler AB 225 grain for 2700 fps, as well 55.5 grs RL-15 under a 225 grain Sierra for 2700 fps. Again use all these as information, reduce loads by 10% before attempting.

Wow! That's interesting! I'll have a buddy that has a Chrony Check the velocity on my load. It might exceed 2,700 FPS. Shoots really well out of my gun with no pressure signs even in hot summers of Oklahoma.

I have the fifth Remington Classic off the line given to me by the Chairman of Dupont's It has always liked H BL-C .I have a target where I shot 5 rounds each of bullets weights from 200 to 250gr .25 shots at the same target at 100 yard's.I have a 1.25 inch group. I know the first thing most people will say is a 200 round nose should not shot the same as 220 gr ,two type's of 225 gr and a 250 gr Speer..but I am looking at the target..I have never seen a caliber that no matter what I load for in it's shot's under an inch

I might be able to test those bullets for you Edd. I'm still using the 220gr. Speer/rl15 load I mentioned a few years ago, but would like a 250'ish grain load for the rifle.
I've only got a couple hundred open cases waiting on a reason to load them.
p.m. me if you are interested...

I see that the last post was a few years ago. Incase anyone is interested or still visits here I use a 35 Whelen almost exclusively for most of my hunting. Including Okahoma whitetails.
The best bullet I've found for my rifle (Model 700 Remington) is the Hawk Spitzer 225 gr. .035 jacket. my load is 59 gr. R15 with Federal primer. I don't know what the velocity is but I bet it's pushing 2,700 fps. This load is very accurate at 1 MOA or less when I do my part correctly. It's accounted for a dozen deer several hogs and 5 elk.
I've never recovered a bullet but from any of the game but I like the fact that there's no tracking involved. everything I've shot with this load has dropped immediately in it's tracks. The elk were all cows but 2 of them were very large and the exit wounds were approx. 2". The farthest shot I've taken with this gun was 223 yds on a large cow elk
grazing in the open. she dropped where she stood. I'm very pleased with this combination. I might add that the deer hit with this round doesn't have that much meat damage with just a good full penetration and a quarter size exit wound. I have used the 225 gr. Accubond bullet on a spike bull elk several years ago and he didn't take 5 steps and he was down. again full penetration and the shot was 112 yds. There is bullet manufacturer that has come out with some very interesting bullets called Cutting Edge Bullets that offers a .358 bullet called the Raptor. I think it weighs in at 160 gr. but has 4 petals that break away inside the cavity of a game animal causing a lot of terminal damage inside. I'll have to experiment with some soon.
--Walkabout Hunter

I bear hunt over bait in Maine. With the exception of one bear I have used the 35 Whelen with excellent results. When asked by the outfitter what caliber I am using and I tell them the 35 Whelen they smile and tell me it's a good caliber. When I asked them the reason why they said that, they reply, "Because we don't have to do any tracking with the Whelen." Anyway my most accurate load is 58.5gr of Winchester 748 with the Sierra, Gameking 225gr bt. And my bear hunting load is the same 58.5 grains of Winchester 748 and the 225 Barnes TSX. I've never chronographed the load, the book reads about 2700fps; but that's the book. The Barnes TSX if okay for accuracy, however they cannot hold a candle to the Sierra Gamekings. The Whelen is a truly great cartridge, easy to load for with devastating results. I have never retrieved a bullet, the size of a golf ball going in and the size of your fist on the exit hole. It is nice to read that there are other hunters who shoot the Whelen.

200 gr ttsx out of mine is one of the tightest shooting hunting rifle I own. Consistently sub minute 5 shot groups with H4895 and hornady brass. One thing i noticed was that every once in awhile I would get a substantial flyer that I couldnt explain. Seems that the neck was bending when loading the bullet. I measure all of them and found they were all 0.001-0.003" inch on the concentricity gauge, but some were about 0.012"...... I used the hornady cartridge straightener and no more flyers. it really does stack holes. Have shot steel with it out to 1050yd. Have only gotten to use it once on game, but got a 173" 4x4 mule deer at 325 yards in CO on public land. Deer went about 50 yds. Big fan of the round. I would like to try it in close in the woods, just hasnt happened yet.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.