.35 whelen loads

grpolarbear

I know,not really a long range cartridge but I love mine.Are any of you guys out there using one, if so what kind of bullets and powder works for you.Nosler lists a load that pushes a 225 gr. at about 2750 with R15,sounds kind of optimistic to me but I think I will try that unless you guys give me a better idea.Thank you for any input or comments.

I've read good things about the RL15 but since I didn't have any, I'm using Varget and 225gr TSX bullets.

Mine is an old ADL rebarrelled with a new CDL takeoff. The action and 1" of the barrel is bedded, then free floated, with a trigger job, decelerator pad and vxII 4-12x40. I don't have impossible accuracy expectations for this gun, and I'm happy with it.

If I stick with cold bore shooting, I'm holding 1.25" groups at 150yards. I'm using 57gr Varget to produce just under 2600fps. During initial load development (Jan-Feb) I achieved 2700fps but didn't feel good about it - very flat & cratered primer. Besides, I'll be hunting mostly in summer with this gun (pigs) so I don't want any surprises. This should be hell on pigs!

I used winchester 30-06 brass, run straight through the 35whelen RCBS FL die and now I partially size without bumping the shoulder. Seems to work nicely. The brass was substantially shorter than spec, so I didn't trim at all, even after 3 firings. I just did the standard flash hole debur, ID/OD chamfer, polished the case mouth and primer pocket uniform (now just a primer pocket brush) Recently I annealed some of my brass - we'll see if there's any effect on accuracy, I doubt it...

I just recently got a mauser custom in 35 Whelen. I haven't loaded for it yet, as I'm waiting to get a scope mount for it in the mail. When I do I'm gonna load either 225gr. Sierra gamekings, 250gr. Hornady IL, or 250gr. Hornady RN. I've got 2 lbs of RL15 I'm gonna give a try.

www.35cal.com

That fellow seems to have quite a bit of experience with the 35 cal rifles.

Good luck with your rifle. Eric

Thanks for the comments.Mine is a F.N. mauser,shilen barrel,timney trigger and is expertly bedded in a M.P.I.stock.I found it used and had to have it.I bought it for much less than it would have cost to build it.I,ve shot 225 gr. sierras and 250 gr.speers so far and the 250s are much better accuracy wise,both with IMR 4320.The 250s easily shoot sub moa at 100 yds.I live in brushy blacktail country and hunt alot in the rain.Wounded game can be hard to find when it is raining and the cover is thick.I,m confident the 35 Whelen will put em down.The whelen comes aweful close to .338 wm performance in more compact package.I also use 30-06 brass but resize in two steps useing a .338 cal expander ball first,then the .35 cal.Case lube applied with a bore mop in the necks makes it easy.I also polish the expander balls by chucking them up in a drill motor and useing scotchbright then metal polish.I hope to be effective to about 500 yards with it,where it still has over 1500 foot pounds.Anyway I need to get some R15 and 225 accubonds and see how it does.Classic calibers and rifles are fun.Take Care.

Today I shot test loads with varget and225 ballistic tips. Did not pressure out like the tsx, loaded up to nosler max 60.5gr gave me2805fps. I will shoot some groups next time. These were seated at 3.340" coal

Am once again interested in the Whelen, especially if I can find a good longrange bullet.

Must be some business opportunity here? .358 seems much more versatile than either .338 or .375, especially since you can share bullets with .357 handguns. Have a S&W 8-3/8" model 27 and some 170 and 180gr silhouette bullets plus several molds. Very versatile combo, I'm thinking.

Lyman cast bullet handbook shows about full velocity for .35cal rifle bullets. Most smaller calibers from 8mm on down are usually about 2/3 rated for pressure and bearing area of bullet, or leading.

A 300+ gr bullet with .700 or higher ballistic coefficient would really be something...

Last edited:
Might want to give RL 17 a try in your Whelen for more velocity.

I've been working with RL17 in my 35 Whelen. I'm getting very good results with 250gr. bullets. Right with, or faster than 338 Win mag. It's hard to believe. This powder is amazing.

I read Alliant's web site info last week, and while RL-17 data is there for almost any rifle application but the largest magnums, it seems most beneficial to moderate capacity ctgs, esp those 4064 or faster powders. Not much reason to use it in H&H case magnums, but maybe it would shine in .458 and .450 Marlin especially.

About 12 yrs ago I picked up a takeoff rem 700 bdl barrel in .35 whelen. Mounted it up and fired it for about 30-40 rds of handloads using 200gr Rem Core-lokt and 250gr speer spitzers. Nice, and a good woods-carry rifle up where I live; but was more intrigued by the .338/300 for power.

Yet, a couple weeks ago got a .35 whelen AI custom barrel that was like new in a deal, plus dies and 200 more pcs of brass. Now with about 500 pcs of brass and about 400 bullets, plus the new powder to work with; seems like a great opportunity. Oh, yeah.... Have another 400 170gr gold dot and sierra pistol bullets also.

Eric, Would sure appreciate your sharing some of your starting point data. If you haven't read the German Salazar article over at 6mmBR.com, it is worth a read for sure. I will have to save this one for reference, but absence of pressure signs with compressed loads and 300fps gains from the .284 Winchester are just WOW!

Was thinking of a .338/284 for a standard boltface short bodied ctg, as I am not a velocity hound; but saw an article by McPherson on wildcatting the .284 and in there he suggests that .375 is the optimum neck-up for the .284 unless you AI the shoulder and then .411 is feasible.

The .375 does have all the chey-tac activity going for it, so maybe lost river ballistics has bullets?

Aside from 225 Sierra and Nosler ballistic tip, there just don't seem to be any decent bullets to work with in .358 cal... Have you tried any cast bullets???

Hey Edward, I sent you a PM. Please let me know how you do with it. I wish I had the AI chamber like you do.

you can rent a reamer and make yours a ai chamber or have a gunsmith do it for you i have one from the 50's it's on a 35 whelen bull barrel shoots great!

Barnes has a new .358 180 grainer in TTSX that is working great in my Whelen.

P6.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.