340 Weatherby Shooters

bluefish

Guys

What are your experiences with the .340 Wthby ? I have a chance to pick up a custom on a blueprinted model 700 action, 25-inch Lilja barrel etc. Current owner is an honest guy who has made multiple Africa trips, and says the beast is just too much recoil for him. No brake -- he says that many PHs will not allow them (did not know that). The ballastics look really interesting but I have never shot one of know anyone that has.

Are the 340s generally that nasty? Is a brake the only way to tame it? I'm not real sensitive to recoil, but no don't enjoy getting beat up any more. Also not a big fan of brakes. Already have hearing issues.

Thanks

I shoot a weatherby mark V in. 340, It has the factory break. I only pulled the trigger once with out it and wont do it again. The recoil is flinch causeing nasty with out the break, with the break its not bad at all. I could live with the non break recoil if I only shot it once in a while, but I shoot it a lot.

With it having a model 700 action, you could look into a recoil reducing stock like Blackhawk makes. They have a couple different kinds and styles. Look them up. No need for a brake. About the same price as a brake.

I have one 340 that is Mag-Na-Ported, one with a Weatherby Accubrake. Yes, there is a significant difference between them.

With the ported one the recoil is straight back but it is strong. Not "12 gauge 3 inch turkey load" strong but you don't want to shoot it all day. With a brake it recoils similar to a 270 and I could shoot is as much as needed. When at the range I always use a Cabela's recoil pad (strap on) over my Browning shirt with the Reactar pad insert with my larger rifles.

FYI, my guides had no issue with the braked 340 this year nor my partner's braked 300 short mag.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.