340 WBY 185 Barnes MRX Hybrid 100

captainmike73

I've spent the last three days Shooting different Variations of loads Using the Hodgen Hybrid 100. The Results were impressive to say the least. The Rifle I'm using is not the typicle Long range set up but in my opinion effective. My goal was 1/2" groups at 200 and muzze velocity of 3200 FPS. I'm shooting a remington 700 with a 24" shillon # 5-1/2 barrell. at 100 I was shooting 1" high averaging 1/4" to almost one hole groups. at 200 I was shooting 2" high average 1/2 group. The best load was 85 grains of the hybrid 100v I started at 80 grain and worked up to 85 at .5 grain incrememts. I used the new lead sled at each shot was carfully place allowing the barrell to cool between 3 shot groups. I think my zero is right at 300 with a 30" drop at 500. any feed back and opions would w be helpfull. I plan on using this load for long range shots at Caribou.
thanks
Mike

Sounds like you have a winner of a load.
Do you shoot anything heavier in your .340? I have a rifle close to yours. I'm currently using 225 gr TTSX. Have you tried the 225gr TTSX or MRX with this new powder? What's the burn rate comparible to? RL19 or RL22, RL25?

Mike,

You started a thread on this powder a few days ago and I said I thought you could beat it with a slower powder in the larger case in .338. I was guilty of not correctly reading your post before I responded and I missed the fact that you intended to use lighter weight bullets. Sometimes I engage the keyboard before I understand the question. Your rifle obviously likes this combo. I'll go sit in the corner now.

Good hunting, Rick

I have also tried the Barnes 210 grain TSX using 82 grains of Hybrid. This load shot an average of 2995 fps. I got a couple of 1" groups at 100 and a 1-1/2 group at 200. Its was strange that the 185 MRX and the 210 TSX shot the trajectorys. Where I live we only have a 200 yard range. And there's no conveinent place to shoot over that. I have never tried the RL powders I have always used IMR 4350 or H-4831. I have used the 250 Grain Barnes X for years and have had good sucess with that as well. I have pulled a couple of theese bullets out of moose and had good expansion and good weight retention. I've never got one out of a caribou they go through every time. maybe this year I'll get one back.
Thanks for the replies back
Mike

let's see, you're shooting 1/2" at 200 yards with a premium hunting bullet. i'd say lace up the huntin boots! i would just recommend that you shoot it out to 500 or whatever distance you plan on taking a shot to verify not only it's accuracy, but your actual drops.

i can't imagine you'd have a tuff time finding a place to shoot some distance in the great state of Alaska.

Thanks, Planing on shooting again monday on a beach that streches for miles. I'm Surprised I havn't seen more forum talk on barnes MRX bullets Everybody seems to be in love with the Sierra MatchKings. I think it an Awsome accurate Bullet But I dont trust it for hunting big game. In Alaska hunting you need a bullet that will hold together and break bones in case a bear decides to eat you or take your game. Aren't the Sierra jacket thin?
Mike

yes, the Sierra jackets are thin and that's what makes them work so well. it's a little differnt hunting big game down here where we're trying to kill deer at 700+ yards as compared to possibly having an up close and personal encounter with a big bear at 7 yards. when hunting long range you need CONSISTANT accuracy and something that will basically come apart when it's only going 2000 fps or less. the Sierra's and Bergers are lethal at long range but if i hunted in your neck of the woods, i'd have a Barnes sitting in the chamber for those uncomfortable moments.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.