338win mag brown bear

Ya, the 350 gr TTSX at 2550-2600 fps is pretty amazing the TTSX BT is really the only bullet a guy would need for most of the worlds hunting.

It just really chaps me Ruger didn't make it in a magnum length action, 10" twist and 416 Remington. But that's beside the point. The 300 gr TSX in. 416 is one bear slaughtering bullet. At 2800-2900 fps it dumps them like popping a balloon.

Another reason to step up to the 375 H&H or Ruger is to get a shorter barrel. With a 338 you won't get very good performance from a short barrel. When hunting brownie's you are often walking through the alders and less barrel is better. 99% of the shots on brownie's are under 100 yds, you don't want to have to reach out for one. I am going on my 2nd brownie hunt this fall and chose to change rifles for this hunt. I got a Sako in 375 H&H with a 20" barrel. Getting 2600 fps with a 300 g Swift A Frame.

My old bear rifle had a Leupold 2.5x8 on it. I am looking at getting a Leupold VX R 2x7 for this one. You might check them out. Have heard nothing but good about these scopes, not a bad price for a lighted reticle and I have never had a Leupold fail me. Like said previously, put the red dot on it and go bang! With dim light on a dark bear, crosshairs can be hard to see.

I haven't had a chance to hunt bear with my 9.3×64 Brenneke yet. But I expect it to duplicate the results of the 375 s. The 375s don't need a brake. Yes they are nice. But the 375 isn't really bothersome in the recoil dept.

Course the o.p. was talking about a 338 .and the 338 is a great way to go also. . . Both the 375 and 338 are very useful for a lot more than bear also. I've killed over 20 Sitka black tail deer with each. I think more than 30 with each possibly more.. they just make a 1-2" hole thru them. With very little blood shock.

.338 win will work fine.

remember, shot placement is king. put the bullets on the spot, very good bullets that is. that equals a dead bear. also, continue to shoot until the bear is for sure dead, none of that one shot and wait to see if the bear died stuff.

good luck on your hunt

.338 win will work fine.

remember, shot placement is king. put the bullets on the spot, very good bullets that is. that equals a dead bear. also, continue to shoot until the bear is for sure dead, none of that one shot and wait to see if the bear died stuff.

good luck on your hunt

It don't get no simpler than that!lightbulbgun)

Lunchbox
I guide for brown bears sometimes. I use a 375 ruger Alaskan stainless with 1.75-6 leupold vx-3 or my marlin stainless 45-70 with an extended magazine. 1.5-5 leupold vx3 also. I like em both a lot.
I am in a backup role though, so a bit more gun is never a bad idea. I really like packing and shooting the ruger especially if the range is over 200 yards. Shot placement and good bullets still rule the day.

Can't agree more about making sure they are dead. I tell the clients to shoot till they drop than put one more in them for safe measure. After a point blank experience I don't take any chances. I am having a 416-375 RUM built on a montana 1999 for guiding hoping to push 400 grain a-frames at 2800 it will be wearing a 1-4 nightforce. When it comes down to brown bears there is no such thing as over kill. My 350 rem mag has been a stellar performer with the discontinued 250 grain Barnes, but every time I walk up to a big bear I tell myself I need a bigger gun.

Reuben

Last edited:
Yep, I get it. Truth is, the 45/70 is the way to go in a shoot out. Few years ago I had my first "no joke" shoot out in the alders. Hunter shot once, first. I then got off 3 aimed shots before he shot again. Only thing I wished for was more rounds! So extended magazine. Not as many foot pounds as the 416 anything but OMG the firepower!!!! :)
Your gun sounds Awsome but scary to a wuss like me. I agree, sometimes you need a bigger gun!

I have a fellow guide friend that uses a 45-70. It deffinately has the firepower for them toothy critters. I was putting serious thought into a 50 Alaskan with a ghost site for a back up or brush gun. I do love how fast you can get off shots with a lever gun. As long as you use heavy bonded or cast bullets it doesn't matter how fast they are going in a 45-70 or similar gun. It will still go from one end to the other on a big bruin. Also when all else fails it will plow through a skull with ease.

Reuben

My 458 works extremely well for the super up close. It just deflates them.
So far all bullet weights work well from 300 gr on up, but that's the 300 gr X or TSX . I don't think the 416 RUM gets much over 2600 fps with the 400 gr. But it will push a 350 TSX around 2900 fps. Which would be the bullet I would shoot in it. 5'-500 yards. A one do it all load.

I used the 300 gr X in 416 out of the Rem mag. At around 2850 fps as I remember and it just capsizes brown bear

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts