338's

thumper15

I've been snooping on here looking into the different calibers you all like using. Seems the 338 EDGE is what everyone is talking about here and watching the youtube videos I can say they are impressive. In no way taking away from Shawn and his EDGE, his 338 reminds me of a couple chamberings I had the chance to shoot back in '97 out in Oklahoma made by the late Brian McDaniels the then owner of the Black Mesa rifle company. At that time Brian was making custom rifles based on the 404 jeffery case using the 338 and 375 bullets. I had the chance to shoot a number of rifles he made in both of these calibers and the word WOW is about all I could muster. Upto that time I had never shot past a few hundered yards here in missouri and nothing of such a large case and caliber. Shooting in the canyon behind his shop and recieving instruction from him was indeed a treat and a literal blast. Shooting out to 1200yrds at 15" steel plates was mind boggling to me back then. Being able to see the bullets kick up dust, rocks, and anything else in their way and being able to do that with the naked eye still makes me want one of the big 338's. So, I can completely understand why you guys like the 338 EDGE. I don't know the specifics of the case design that Shawn has come up with but I'm assuming it's basic nature is the same. The Black Mesa rifle company is still in business with a new owner having been sold by Brian before his death. I will always regret not getting back out there to see him before his passing as he taught me a whole new world about shooting, ballistics, ect. and really opened my eyes to LONG range shooting. The last time I was out at Brians shop was the last time I did any long range shooting and 10 years has been way too long. Luckly I have found a 1K club up in iowa so I think it's time to get back into it, even if it's not hunting. I'll have to find out some more on the EDGE before I'd decide but it is on my short list when I start a build. I have a 7mm rem mag for things out to 600 but I could push that out some with the right bullets especially since I only hunt deer size game. Best of luck to all on the shooting.

Welcome...
The 338's really are awesome. With some of the projectiles we have and have coming they can out perform just about everything else in a commercial cartridge or improved version there of. You really have to step into special made equipment, ie: 408 CT, 416 Barret, 50 BMG, to get the jump on them. Your 7mm is no slouch either. I freaking love mine but the Edge just makes me all giddy when I touch one off.

I love my 7mm too it's a Browning A bolt II composite have had it for 11 years and I've forgotten how many deer I have taken with it. It's about time to retire it and get another 7mm, maybe a custom this time but I'd get another A bolt if I get a factory gun. For where I'm at and what I hunt it's not that I need a 338 but I miss shooting them. Causes a drooling effect remembering how much fun the 338 and 375's were to hit with.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.