338RUM & LM base and ring setups and problems

Discussion in 'Equipment Discussions' started by wasgas, Oct 27, 2013.

1. wasgas

wasgas Well-Known Member

What is everyone using for base rings on the bigger 338+ rifles, and have you had any problems with it?

I have a light weight hunting setup without a brake and after switching scopes had issues with the rings coming loose from my bases. I was shooting a max load of 250gr bullets and my weaver tactical rings came loose from the bases, I original installed with clear nail polish. I took it home and over tightened them slightly with lock-tight. I have an identical setup on a 270 that has been trouble free. If the problem continues I will have to switch to another setup.

Has anyone tried a picatinny rail and switching scopes between rifles? I have given it a little thought but wanted to see if it works well for others.

Attached Files:

2. sp6x6

sp6x6 Well-Known Member

I have 2 - 338 normas one 7+ bare and one 9+ bare. One has mark 4 rings and one NF tit.I have about 500 rnds out and falls on the mountain pict. rails no problem, braked

3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Nightforce rails and Nightforce UL rings on everything including big 338's never had an issue and I do not loctite anything!

4. Bodywerks

Bodywerks Well-Known Member

For that big of a cartridge and that light of a gun, and no brake to boot those weaver rings are NOT up to the task. The lowest quality rings I would even think about considering would be the Burris extreme tactical rings. But ideally warne steel rings or nightforce, badger, etc.