338rum factory gun?

Bullcanyon

Been toying with getting a 338 rum to play with. How limited am I going to be with bullet choices using a factory gun getting the longer bullets close enough to the sweet spot? I'd like to shoot the higher bc bullets. Might I be better off to find a decent used and rebarrel? Probably only ping steel for a couple years but might use it to hunt at long range if I can shoot it accurate enough. I've got a 7mm that shots good but I can't get the bullet any closer than. 07 because of the mag. Guessing I might have the same problem with any gun. Maybe not?
Thanks
Kris

I bought a factory Rem LSS in 338 rum and installed a timney trigger. It shoots 225 Barnes TTSX great. Oh and it has a Vais brake on it. If you want to shoot the Heavy bullets just install a Wyatts box and your good.

If you purchase a rem 700 it is as simple as installing a 4" wyatt's box mag as I did with my recent build . A gunsmith should to this for $50 or so , I did mine with a Dremel tool and a tungsten carbide bit . My OAL for my handloads with a 300 gr. Berger elitehunter is 3.910 . Buy not seating the bullit so deep it allows me to load 92gr. of powder and not be compressed!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.