.338LM bullet selection for Coastal Brown bears

Yes Broz I fully agree with you that the Bergers are adequate for large game. Anything that weighs 300grs pushed at that velocity has to do serious damage, its just a matter of physics. But that being said, I have used the partitions on bears on 3 other occassions and they always performed flawlessly, so I just couldn't talk myself out of using something that was proven. But next time I that I go black bear hunting I will be taking the bergers. Thanks to all for the info on this site and for the complements, even though this wasn't my bear, I was just the backup shooter. Here is a pic of my bear that was taken in 2003 with a .340 weatherby.

Attachments

• securedownload_mid%3D1_44160_ADUlvs4AAINUS1DuwQvFoHPXG+M%26fid%3DInbox%26pid%3D3%26cred%3D7mXZa4.jpg
    securedownload_mid%3D1_44160_ADUlvs4AAINUS1DuwQvFoHPXG+M%26fid%3DInbox%26pid%3D3%26cred%3D7mXZa4.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
I think that theres a bit of a diffrence with 7mm bergers and .338 bergers. mass is just a big part of the equation. Im glad that the fellow on here was succesfull with his 7mm, but I think I would go with a safer bullet if it were me... that being said, the proof is in the puddin'!

I would shoot a bear with my .338 RUM and SMK's so I only imagin that bergers would be better!

There are good, mid B.C options other than barnes too. Scirroco swift II's have a decent b.c and can be driven pretty quick (225's). Accubonds are also good with there 225 and 250 grain offerings. Ill be using the 250 TTSX bullet when I get my draw hopefully next year.

I know that this thread is kinda drwing to an end but thought I would try to keep it going for kicks and giggles.

heading to the peninsula in AK for coastals in May. Shooting a DE built 338 edge and looking for input on bullets. Thinking of either the 300 accubonds that appear to have shipped or maybe the 275 swift a-frames. Barnes are not an option

Outfitter is saying shots will be 100ish yards so long range is not a question. He said shots are often 50 yrds or less.

Main thing here will be killing power!!!!

Thanks in advance

the outfitter doesn't like the bullet because he has had bad experience with other hunters using them. Not trying to start a debate. I just figure it is best to use something else walking into camp.

The 275 Swift A-frame is a great bullet, I've seen what it will do. Being of a curious nature, and having seen the other Accubonds perform I'd go with the 300 grain bullet.

Having hunted these critters and been around them for many decades I have only carried the Nosler partition.

When the Accubond came out I tested them for a couple yearsin my 358STA. For the most part I have switched to the Accubond in everything I carry as a regular hunter.

I have never had a problem with Barnes,Nosler,Woodleigh but have always felt absolute comfort when up close and personal with an 800 pound sow brownie and cubs with attitude and I have been there a number of times.

I ran across a sow with three 2 year old youngsters still hanging around with mom one spring many years ago. Under conditions like this one cannot wonder if abullet is going to pass or fail. A bear isn't impressed with BC and does not read the energy charts. It needs a bullet that WILL stay together as the gentlemen with the 408 experienced.

First shot- breakup down
second shot finish them off.

Neal

Thanks Neal. sounds like you have had a ton of experience. have used the accubonds on these big guys? My goat outfitter last fall said he likes the accubonds and partitions.

The toughest test for the Accubond to date was when my wife took a large Bison bull between the eyes @ 50 yards. The accubond bullet from her 338 WSM lodged in the neck muscle some 15"-18" from the entrance. If memory serves me it was a 200 grain but may have been a 225 grain bullet. We do not hunt with anything above 225 grain unless backing someone up.

Goat,black bear and smaller Brownies have all fallen without incident. No large bear have been taken to date by us however using the Accubond.
There isn't any Brown bear out there that are built as tough as that Bison forehead bridgework however.
Neal

Great story and pics. Thanks for the follow up. Congrats to you on a successful hunt!!!gun)

I did use the 300 gr Bergers extensivly on antlope , deer and several elk last season. They worked great, all one and DRT. I am only posting again because I am interested in knowing if you the OP was happy with the bullet preformance that you posted the pic of ? Not looking for a debate at all. I am just interested as it seems some hunters like different things. Some like the bullet to stay in tact with a smaller wound channel. Others (like myself) prefer the bullet to expand more and make a much larger hole and damage vitals with fragments. Now, I am not saying there was anything wrong with your bullet proformance. Just that I would opt for more destruction if I wanted them DRT, (my personal preferance) . Also I will admit I do not hunt browns or Griz, (not yet anyway) but we do kill some large bulls and I have seen the results of both types of bullets and how the animals react after the shot. After many years of pushing Bergers thrugh elk bone even the thickest of the shoulder, I have dismissed the internet theory of them not penetrating bone. My first hand experience is different, they will, and what comes out into the vitals cavity is very distructive. I realize that the bullet like was posted will also "obviously" do the job. But it is always said "when they run to the alders with a Berger" I am not buying into this. It is my experience that they go farther with a less expanding bullet. I think if some of the guys posting these statements could see what I have seen they would have a better idea of what actually happens.

I will not post again in this thead. Not looking for debate. I simply felt the need to share what I have seen. Plus there is a thread on here where two Griz were taken with 7mm Bergers and I have my opinion of how those bullets preformed for that hunter. And also in talking with Shawn Carock about the Black Bear taken with the 300 Berger it was described to me that you could see inside the bear and there was not doubt the vitals were distroyed.

Bottom line, again thanks for posting the story and results. I am thrilled for you!! I hope to take a swing at one myself one day. For now I only get to read about hunting Browns and Griz.

Thanks
Jeff
I know it's an older post but was great to read. I just harvested a 350lb Oregon black bear at 413 yards with my .300norma with 230grn Berger hybrids. Shot entered in one ear and out just behind the other with minimal
Damage to the meat or hide. The shockwave, however, liquified his brain and dropped instantly'

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.