338lapua or 338 lapua improved?

Go for the gusto......

Anything "improved" is always better than the standard.

With the 338 Lapua I would imagine that the improvement would enhance internal ballistics which in turn improves external performance.

Additionally, you'll want that 300 SMK going as fast as possible.

The only other cartridge in the league of the 338 Lapua Improved would be the 338 AX that Kirby Allen designed. You may wish to visit with him.

I disagree that "improved is always better", it's not. It is at times though.

I say stay with the standrd .338LM, you can buy ammo - wherever you can get it - but not the improved version.

That being said, it's what floats your boat.

I suggest you research the ballistics gains/losses and see if it's worth the costs and work to yourself.

Good luck in your endeavour.

You can shoot unimproved ammo in an improved rifle in a pinch. Sight it in and go, no different than loosing hand loads for a factory chambering.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Steve

You can shoot unimproved ammo in an improved rifle in a pinch. Sight it in and go, no different than loosing hand loads for a factory chambering.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Steve

You could shoot factory loads in a 338 Laupa AI but not all of the improved versions of the 338 Lapua will allow this luxury..

I agree w/ that. So how many guys forget or lose their ammo? I hear this as a reason not to do a wildcat all the time, but I don't know anyone that has done this. Now that I have said this I'm sure I'll forget my ammo on my next hunting trip.:D

Steve

Ok now I am a bit confused as to why not all the improved versions will not allow the shooting of factory ammo? What in the dimension is different that will not allow this, I have quite a few AI versions of cartridges and have never had a problem forming brass with either reloads or factory ammo, nor have i had problems with differences in dies, I know that anyone can make a reamer print to different dimension and have it made look at the differences in 6ppc prints with varying neck thicknesses. But as for the topic of lost or left behind shells never has happened to me and i have a pile of wildcats almost everything I own with exception of mauser chamberings.

tbrown, you're already into the AI's, then I can see no reason not to AI the 338 Lap. Go for it and have one of the best .338's out there.

Steve

tbrown9124, Ackley designed the AI cartridges to head space on a portion of the factory shoulder other wildcat designs do not allow this and one must reduce the load and seat the bullet far enough out to head space with the bullet

ok I know the AI's headspace differently than the standard versions, but I was thinking that for some reason that someone was saying that a standard would not cycle. I dont see the reason why one wouldnt, and as for those that think a factory loaded cartridge may not be safe, the question I have for them is why would you fire-form with a reduced load and not closer to a max load?

I was on the fence for a long time but it was between a 338 LM improved and 338 edge. The lapua brass is some awesome stuff and I much prefer to use it but I ended up going with the Edge. If the 338LM used a standard magnum bolt face I would have gone with that but that super magnum bolt face doesn't give you alot of choices .

ok I know the AI's headspace differently than the standard versions, but I was thinking that for some reason that someone was saying that a standard would not cycle. I dont see the reason why one wouldnt, and as for those that think a factory loaded cartridge may not be safe, the question I have for them is why would you fire-form with a reduced load and not closer to a max load?

In an AI chamber one could use a near max load, but this would not be Wise if you are head spacing with the bullet jammed into the lands. If a factory round is fired in a "improved" chamber and the cartridges is not properly head spaced then you have a potentially dangerous situation

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.