338EDGE - LOAD PRIMERs ADVICE

300rum

Hi,

I already search on the forum, and I could not find the load for 338EDGE with 300SMK, RETUMBO/H-1000.

I would really apreciate if somebody can help me with PRIMER type for this load. What type of primers do you used to get the best accuracy.

- REM9.5M,
- or FED 215M,
- or CCI?

I got decent group with 300SMK, US869 and REM 9.5M primer, but I have flyers. So I decided to try with different Primers, and if I would Not get better group I have to try different POWDER (RETUMBO/H-1000)

Thank you,
Chris

i been using fed GM215M and H1000. I'm up to 95gr with no signs of pressure with a speed of 2952. i'm still working on the load sure would be nice to get up to 3000.

with the 300's, as mentioned, go with 92-93 gr of h1000 and cci250 primers. probably won't be the fastest, but everyone that tries this combo gets very good accuracy.

+ 1 with Dave ! I've never heard of an edge doing the mid 2900's with 95 grns of powder ? What is the accuracy like ?

The 92-93 grn H 1000 combo shoots pinholes in most of Shawns rifles.

DUH

+ 1 with Dave ! I've never heard of an edge doing the mid 2900's with 95 grns of powder ? What is the accuracy like ?

The 92-93 grn H 1000 combo shoots pinholes in most of Shawns rifles.

DUH
I don't know maybe I got lucky with a fast barrel. That was taken with my late junky shooting chronny. It had it's best shot go threw it the other day. Wright threw the display!!!! That may change next week when my cedm2 gets here. But with 95gr of H1000 under a 300smk thats was what it read. I do have a 32" barrel. I was shooting at 300yrds and the accuracye was great I didn't mearsure but a 3 shot group was well under 1.250 for sure. At 95 I tought I would be maxed out? But not one sign of pressure. I will be trying to find my max load next week. I will keep you posted. Here's what kirby sent me about his test rounds he fired when he built it.

i Shot your rifle yesterday after the load work up. The load I used was 95.0 gr Retumbo under the 300 gr SMK seated to 3.800". Average velocity with my componants was 2922 fps which is pretty impressive to be honest. Average for a 30" 338 Edge is generally around 2850 with that bullet.

I would like to know what shawn has maxed out at with H1000??????

Jeff 300,

From what I can remember, Shawn told me he had them going faster with other powders and larger powder drops than the 92 grns, but the ES numbers and accuracy were premium with the 92 grn load, which I have used

im sure the extra 2 " of barrel will help you, but like Kirby said sounds like the velocity you are getting is the exception rather than the rule ?

The H 1000 was the best for consistency with temp changes.

Let me know what it reads on the fancy chrono please. My OAL for that bullet is 3.775

What barrel are you running in yours ?

Cheers mate

DUH

Thank you guys!

I will go with CCI 250 and H-1000.
For sure I will post the results.

What would be the starting load for H1000 with CCI 250 primer and 300SMK's?

Thank you,
Chris

Jeff 300,

From what I can remember, Shawn told me he had them going faster with other powders and larger powder drops than the 92 grns, but the ES numbers and accuracy were premium with the 92 grn load, which I have used

im sure the extra 2 " of barrel will help you, but like Kirby said sounds like the velocity you are getting is the exception rather than the rule ?

The H 1000 was the best for consistency with temp changes.

Let me know what it reads on the fancy chrono please. My OAL for that bullet is 3.775

What barrel are you running in yours ?

Cheers mate

DUH

Here's the specs on the rifle.

Receiver accurizing package

Wyatt stretched magazine box

Holland Comp recoil lug installed

Lilja 32" barrel stainless steel fluted

Muzzle brake

Matte finish barrel

Jewell trigger upgrade

Nightforce rail base

Nightforce 30mm rings

Nightforce 5.5x22x50

H&S precision stock

I have not found a bad load for this rifle. (GOT TO LOVE KIRBY'S WORK) i tried retumbo up to 95gr. but i want to use H1000 for temp reasons. Here in south Texas we get some wild temp changes. today its 28 this morning and will be in the mind 70's later to day????????????? My OAL is 3.800

Last edited:
primers

do influence accuracy; significantly!! Suggest you search my post and chart on velocity spreads with various primers. Overbore

Here's the specs on the rifle.

Receiver accurizing package

Wyatt stretched magazine box

Holland Comp recoil lug installed

Lilja 32" barrel stainless steel fluted

Muzzle brake

Matte finish barrel

Jewell trigger upgrade

Nightforce rail base

Nightforce 30mm rings

Nightforce 5.5x22x50

H&S precision stock

I have not found a bad load for this rifle. (GOT TO LOVE KIRBY'S WORK) i tried retumbo up to 95gr. but i want to use H1000 for temp reasons. Here in south Texas we get some wild temp changes. today its 28 this morning and will be in the mind 70's later to day????????????? My OAL is 3.800

G'day mate !

The H1000 seems to be the ticket. Your gun sounds like a killing machine.

I like the attached list of components, very impressive. Actually very similar to my own DE rifle.

Send me a pic of that stick of yours. I'd love to know where your gun Max's out to with H100 ie. powder charge vs accuracy ?

Good shooting

DUH

Hodgdon lists both H1000 and Retumbo as extreme powders, is the Retumbo not as good for temp variances?

Cheers,
Rob

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.