338am

V 911,

Not saying no chance, just that right now U.S. jacket makers are making life a real pain for Richard, without jackets, well you know the rest of the story.

LTLR,

The 265 gr AT RBBT is 0.230" longer then the 300 gr SMK. Add to that the ogive design which is much more aggressive then the SMK which also adds to the BC. The meplat is also a pin point, sharp enough to put one through your hand, trust me I know!!! **** near did it.

As mentioned, the Aluminum tip is very large which increases bullet length dramatically without adding weight.

Also, bullet baring surface area is nearly identical to the 300 gr SMK so even though its a longer bullet, it does not contact any more of the bore.

Compared to the Henson AT RBBTs, the Wildcat prototype is MUCH more aggressive as far as BC is concerned. THe 265 gr Henson has basically the same BC as the 300 gr SMK but with the lighter weight it offers a velocity advantage so in the end it still has a ballistic advantage.

The Wildcat just has a much higher BC because of a more aggressive design and the velocity advantage because of the higher BC. If Richard could get those jackets in it would be a very good thing but there is no sign of that happening. THey tell him they will sell him any jacket he wants or needs but then when he orders then, he is told they are not available and they do not know when they will be making a run.........

V 911,

Sorry forgot to mention, no I have not yet get the 220s in the air yet. If they are in fact a .9 BC bullet they will be a huge boost to 30 cal lovers. Just have to get some time to load them up in my 300 AX and see if they will hold together.

Links,

Unless Berger beefs up their bullet jacket, it will be very hard to get their 300 gr VLD to survive the launch of a 338 AM. I would think a 1-12 barrel would be needed, baring surface compression % would be critical as well. They need to thicken up their jackets to that of a SMK and then there would be no problems but if they do not, they may be limited to Lapua/Edge class rifles for best accuracy.

Kirby

No doubt you are correct. Given that Berger has now redesigned a lot of their most popular bullets (including the 7mm 180) to add thick jackets to them, here is to hoping that they look far enough down the road and simply use the thicker jackets in their 338 offerings.

JeffVN

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts