.338 YOGI

Darryl, what twist do you use in your 338/416 Rigby Imp?

Steve, I just reread your e-mail answers from two years back, when I started the Lapua project. Of some reason we never mentioned any twist in your Yogi that was 32" those days.

In the obscure depths of my memory I found something on someone trying 1/11" for 300gr Sierras in a Lapua Imp (the UGA?) some time ago. Are there any info on the success of those tests? A friend of a friend tried 300gr in his Sako TRG and usually got four very close and one flier out at 300m. That´s in 1/12"(!).

I am pondering an order for a very long 338 OR a 31" 1/12" specifically for the Scenar. The very long would be for 2000m+ and the 12" for 10-shots-one-hole at 600m at the Finnish Championships in Lapua, the very Lapua. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, AKI

Darryl
Your friends rifle getting 3350 with a 300g that is amazing
shocked.gif
I have been having good luck with mine (338 Yogi) with case life and accuracy. I am looking forward to hunting with the Yogi out west where very long shots can be maid to many trees around here.
AKI
I am using a 10 twist for the 300g SMK in my 338 Yogi.
shocked.gif

Brent,
FYI: Having some trouble with my ISP right now and haven't been getting emails for the last 1.5days. I'm at work right now and sent a test message from my work account to my personal account and it never showed up. Will respond to your emails as soon as I can. IF I get them at all.....
You are right on the location of the crack. It's about .040 below the shoulder/neck joint. After firing they are easy to see because they turn black in that area from gas escaping and carbon buildup. I cleaned it up for the pic though.

AKI,
I've always used 10' twist in the 338 with the 300gr bullets. I know of another 338 Yogi with an 11" twist that shoots very well and another guy that says a 12" will work with the 300gr bullets, but I've never seen it myself. It's got to be border line though. With the 250gr Scenar a 12" should be perfect. I talked to Dan Lilja a year or so back and he said 12" is a no-go with 300gr and a 12" is good for the 250gr class bullets.
My next barrel will be a 11" twist for the 300gr bullets.

Hope this helped.

Steve

AKI

Welcome to the forum.
I have the 10 twist in my 37" long , 1.450" diameter K&P barrel.

Crowmag

I was at Williamsport when the friend of mine was running his loads over the Oehler chronagraph. He got to 3350 FPS with the 300 grt bullets in 338/416 Rigby IMP and the 40" barrel and when I looked at the cases, there was no sign of pressure, at all. He could have gone further, but stopped at that velocity. I opened the bolt with my little finger on one of the fired rounds at that speed.

DC

Brent,
FYI: It appears as though your email is lost in space. I've worked with my ISP and I can recieve incoming email right now, but I can't send yet.
So if you could resend your previous email and I'll respond as soon as I can.

Also I beleive the John Ricks over on accuratereloading is the same person I was referring to. I've heard good things about his work.

Steve

Crow Mag,
That's a negative, but it sure sounds to be interesting and it's right there in that ball park of burining rates. I'm going to be screwing my 338 barrel back on my HG pretty soon to get ready for the spring matches. Just might have to try it out.

BWT: awesone job on the LR deer this year and getting that Yogi tuned up.

Steve

Steve
Thank you the Yogi did an awesome job on the deer this year
grin.gif

I think I will go to the store tomorrow and get a pound of Retumbo and work up a load it is getting hot out in the 40s this weekend.
Crow Mag

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.